Chapter 40

"Hello to you too, Marinette..." Lila said, the smile never leaving her face.

"What do you want?" Marinette said a little too harshly but then smiled and smoothly continued "... here for a little chit-chat?"

The way Lila's smile grew even more when she asked the question, Marinette knew she wouldn't be liking what Lila was going to do next.

Lila let out a small laugh "Ohhhhh Marinette... you have always been quick to catch up on things, haven't you?"

"Of course, I have been, that had created a lot of trouble for a fox I know" Marinette returned her smile.

Lila took a sip of her champagne and while twirling the glass of it and staring at it, she said "hmm... maybe you have been but right now, you missed something"

"And what could that be?" Marinette asked folding her arms.

"I am not here to have a chit-chat with you..." Lila said with a smirk and looked at Adrien, and the way she looked, Marinette could feel her skin crawl and a need to rip Lila's eyes off.

The jealousy and possessiveness Marinette generally felt when a woman tried to eye or hit on Adrien was a lot different right now with Lila.

Marinette's gaze shifted to Adrien who was warily and curiously eyeing Lila, maybe wondering what she had to say. But then his gaze shifted towards her and his eyes softened immediately. He had sensed the not-so-friendly vibe between her and Lila and is now worried, she could see it. His brows her knitted in concern as he looked at her with worry.

"But I still have to say..." Lila started, turning both Adrien's and Marinette's attention towards her "who would have thought that Marinette Dupain Cheng would need a guy for rent as a date or maybe a guy for rent for needs"

"Excuse me?" Marinette asked, the fake smile she was wearing completely vanished as her eyes squinted a bit and stared at Lila.

"You heard me... guys used to flock around you like insects but I am guessing that was in the past. But then again, Men like to chase those who no one has but once they realize how inexperienced and unrefined the thing is they are trying to chase, they are gone in a blink of an eye when they realize it's real worth" Lila said now smirking even more widely as she knew she was starting to get to Marinette.

"What did you just say?" Marinette asked, her voice becoming a little threatening.

"Oh my dear Marinette, you don't have to worry. I completely understand or anyone would have understood who knew you in high school that why you had to do this, and..." Lila eyed Adrien and then looked back at Marinette, with disgust in her voice she said "... have to lower your standards like this"

Now Marinette had enough.

How dare she talk about Adrien like that. Marinette could see Adrien was hurt by Lila's words, ashamed for her and her pride.

But Marinette isn't ashamed of anything.

Looks like Lila hasn't gotten a reality check for a very long time. Marinette was more than willing to do that right now.

"Lila dear, I think you got it all wrong" Marinette said with a honey-dripping voice.

Lila was taken aback by the suddenly controlled composure of Marinette, usually, in the past, she would lose it by now. Nevertheless, Lila innocently tilted her head and asked "what do you mean, Marinette?"

"Men with no brains, flock around something till they realize that they could never have it because it's way out of their dirty reach and they do not mean a penny to something they were chasing. All in all, they already had realized its real worth that's why they were flocking around it but after getting nowhere, they decide to change targets and go for something which could be easily chased in a single attempt just like eating sample food in the supermarket. And after tasting, they just move on"