Chapter 5

Chapter 5

He never called.

Not the next morning.

Not the week after that.

Or the following week either.

Radio silence.

I can't say I wasn't a bit disappointed. After all, he was the one who insisted on having my number. He went out of his way to tell me that he would call, yet hasn't. This is why I strongly dislike the male species sometimes. They tell you one thing, then do the opposite.

As the days of silence passed by, I started to wonder whether I did something wrong. But the wondering came to a fast pause, as the demands of my busy life took priority.

On Monday I spent the entire day making hand crafted, personalized gift baskets for all the guests who would be attending the launch party. All five hundred of them. I asked Adrienne why she couldn't hire someone to take care of the baskets and she said "I did hire someone...you!"

Tuesday was a bit more relaxed. Adrienne had meetings all day. I sat in, and took notes. Met some really influential people. Learned more about my craft.

Wednesday, I went out for drinks with my co-workers. We went to some upscale bar. The drinks weren't that strong, nor was the food that good. I thought about Ryan for a split second. Then, I took tequila shots.

Thursday, I cried for the first time since I moved. Cried my eyes out. I missed my family a little more than usual. I missed Grace. New York hasn't been what I'd hoped.

Friday was a blur. I didn't sleep. I spent all night at the office working...making sure all the details were perfect for Saturday...aka today.

The launch party.

"Alexandra, I need a drink!" Adrienne gasps, as guests start to pour into the venue. "No, I need a Xanax."

I can't help but chuckle at her theatrics.

"You don't." I reassure her. "We've been working hard for weeks to make sure that today is perfect. All you have to do is enjoy, and trust that we've done a good job."

It's true. Everything is perfect. For starters, the club is absolutely insane. Fleur Uptown is one of the most exclusive clubs in New York City, typically reserved for the famous and wealthy. Adrienne happens to be both, so securing this place for the party was relatively easy. It helps that half of the guests are fucking celebrities. I, in my twenty two years of life have never been close to so much bling.

"Go greet your guests. I'll take care of everything," I tell her once I see more people starting to walk through the large doorway. She smiles nervously, and clears her throat before stepping out into the crowd. If it's one thing I'm certain of, it's that tonight will be a smashing success. For one, Adrienne's fall line is absolutely beautiful. It captures everything her target audience aspires to have in clothing...sexy, sleek elegance yet casual and fun. I believe it's her best work yet. On the floor, a few samples of the line are displayed on mannequins.  She also insisted that we all wear something from the line too.

I decided on a short, black dress with chains for straps. One of the best parts about working for Adrienne is that I get all of her new pieces for free. Plus, her glam team. This whole afternoon I was with hair stylists, nail techs and make up artists as they got me ready for tonight.

And let me just say...I have never felt more beautiful or pampered my whole life.

The dress hugs my body gorgeously, while my hair cascades down my back in voluminous layers. My legs look extra long and toned in these black pumps.