Chapter 36

Chapter 36

"I think it's time to call it a night," Magnolia slurs, as she hobbles towards the coffee table in the center of the room, abandoning the empty bottle of the tequila in her hand.

She's drunk. Everyone's drunk.

From the moment we settled, it's been non-stop drinking, and loud banter.

When I wasn't preoccupied by anxiety, I was actually pleased by the people Maggie and Aaron call friends.

Everyone's actually really nice.

Under different circumstances, I think I'd actually enjoy their company a lot.

"I think so too," Kendra replies, placing a heavy palm against her forehead.

It's about four o'clock in the morning, and everyone has exhausted themselves.

"I'm gonna...go upstairs...and...call my husband," she stumbles, "I mean...fiancé. My sexy fiancé."

Maggie closes her eyes, and her lips spread into a wide smile.

"I'm getting married." She slurs. "Married. My therapist and I never thought this day would come."

"Alright, that's enough." Ryan interrupts before she goes any further. Probably to spare her from embarrassment. He, I and Alex are the most sober in the room.

"Let's get you to bed," he pulls her by the arm, supporting her by the torso.

"But...my therapist..." she whines, drunkenly.

"What happens in therapy should stay in therapy."

"That's not fun. You're no fun."

"I know." He doesn't protest. "I'm the boring twin, remember?"

I have to admit that I find it highly amusing to watch Ryan and Maggie argue like children, while he tries to get her up the stairs.

Slowly, but surely, she relents, and soon everybody starts to trudge upstairs.

"I'm exhausted," Alexander sighs.

"Same." I lie.

Drained is a better word to describe how I feel. I am so glad that the first night in this hell hole is finally coming to an end.

"We should probably join everyone," Alex motions towards the stairs. "We'll spend a little time in our room until everyone's asleep. Then, Ryan and I will switch."

Fuck.

With all I had brewing in my mind, I completely forgot about the whole sleep aspect of this staycation. The worst part, in my humble opinion.

"Yeah." I am timid. Alex senses my discomfort, and follows up with a statement of reassurance.

"Shouldn't take longer than fifteen minutes." He says. "Even though I've never been drunk, I've learned that people under the influence fall asleep rather quickly."

"They do." He's right.

I can manage fifteen minutes.

"Let's just go," I mutter and take his hand, imitating the way all the other couples made their departure.

"You're very subtle about your disgust, lover."

"Not disgust, lover. Just discomfort." I correct him, as we find our way back to the rooms.

Our room is on the left hand side, right across from Maggie's.

The bed is made up in silky white linens, rose petals scattered across the surface.