Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"You have a glow." Andrea tells me, resting her head on top of her hands while she stares at me. "You're glowing."

"That glow...is sweat." I touch the moisture on my forehead, as I finally take a seat behind my desk. I'm exhausted. Today was exhausting. The last seven days were exhausting.

Word of Adrienne's pregnancy became known to all of us on her team shortly after she broke the news to me. Everyone was obviously very happy for her, and with her pregnancy came the understanding that the company would no longer be her first priority.

Her health, and the baby's health is.

I knew things would inevitably get a little busy, and that I'd have a lot more responsibility around the office, but I was not at all prepared for the fact that I'd literally have to be Adrienne Walker herself.

Since founding this company, Adrienne has never taken a moment to breathe. To rest. She operates like a machine, and has never found a reason worthy enough to stop her.

Until now.

While her body grows a new life, she's finally found incentive to step down from her loads of responsibilities and relax.

Only, she can't completely abandon her multi-million dollar company just like that.

So guess who's been in charge of keeping the wheel turning?

Yours truly.

Adrienne hasn't been at the office all week, leaving me to handle everything she usually does. Of course I have no real power in the company, she just gives me strict instructions and I'm in charge of facilitating them.

All day I've been sitting in meetings with clothing stores that are looking to carry her new collection. It's been a long day of negotiations, and pretending I know what I'm doing.

Luckily Andrea, the girl who's head of the marketing team has been helping me out. Without her, I'd feel even more lost than I already do.

"No," Drea shakes her head. "It's not sweat. It's something else." She narrows her eyes, examining me.

"Are you seeing somebody?"

I freeze.

"What? No."

That's not a lie. I'm not seeing anybody. Technically.

"Are you sure?" She leans forward, analyzing my expression. "We've spent all week together, Alex. I'd say we're pretty tight. You can tell me."

"Seriously, I'm single. If I wasn't, I would tell you."

Again, not a lie.

She holds her scrutinizing look for a moment more, before relenting.

"Okay, If you say so." She shrugs. "You just have the glow of a woman in love."

I chuckle.

"I am in love," I sigh, "with my bed. I miss it."

Between the early mornings, and late nights I haven't gotten much sleep. Dark circles have made a permanent residence under my eyes, and my concealer is working overtime.

Andrea chuckles.

"I feel that. I miss my dog." She says solemnly. "And sex. My girlfriend is always asleep by the time I get home."

I glance at the watch on my wrist.

"It's seven o'clock. If you leave now, I'm sure you can catch her."