Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"We should probably get up now," I tell Ryan, but he only wraps his arms around me tighter.

"Do we have to?" He mumbles into the crook of my neck.

"I think so," I reply, despite the urge to lay with him forever.

We've been like this for days. Glued together, unwilling to leave each other's side. Thanksgiving came and went. Ryan and I spent the holiday in our pajamas, eating takeout around my coffee table, followed by rounds of rough of sex on every surface of my apartment.

It was wonderful. Much to be thankful for, indeed.

Jenna packed her shit, and thankfully fled to I don't even know where. All I know is that she's gone.

After the incident at Andrea's, Ryan and I both lost the taste for turkey. We decided to keep it simple.This is the first year in a long time that I haven't celebrated the holiday in a grand way. The first holiday spent away from my family.

I thought it'd be depressing, but strangely, I was just fine.

"Two more days, and I'm back to work." I sigh.

The short break Adrienne gave me for the holiday was well needed. I may just burst into tears as I walk through my office doors on Monday.

Ryan pulls me onto his lap, so that I straddle his shirtless body on the bed.

"Excited?" He grins.

"The opposite." I groan. "If only I could get paid without having to leave my bed."

"You can." Ryan says, tracing my thigh with his finger. "It's called retirement."

"Ahh, yes." I retort sarcastically. "I only have a good thirty years left, no biggie."

Hopefully in thirty years I'll be more than just an assistant, but for now, I'm happy working at Adrienne's atelier.

"Speaking of work..." I start, "I don't think we should tell Adrienne about us yet. She has enough on her plate, between the company and the pregnancy...I'm not sure how she'd react to the fact that we've been lying to her for months."

I don't plan on keeping me and Ryan a secret forever. Only until it feels right.

"Understandable." He replies. "I'll continue being your filthy little secret for as long as you want."

"Shut up." I flick his arm. "You're not my filthy secret. I'm just waiting for the right time." That, and I'm terrified of losing my job.

Even if by some miracle Adrienne doesn't fire me, things will inevitably be different at work. People already say that I get special treatment from Adrienne. Imagine if they knew about me and Ryan...Imagine the nasty rumors they'd spread?

I've learned that life is like high school. You never quite escape those 'mean girl personalities'. And Adrienne's company is full of them.

Is it wrong that I'm terrified of what they'll think?

"I know." He says, and kisses the palm of my hand.

"Plus, we don't owe anyone anything. Nobody is entitled to the details of our love life, except us."

His words, and tone bring me great relief.

"Yeah." I reply. "You're right."

"I tend to be." He nods. "What day is it?"

"Friday."

"Friday?" His tranquil demeanor crumbles.

"Shit." He huffs. "Shit shit shit."