Chapter 33

Roughly 300 Years Ago

The queen's grade one piano exam results were delivered to Calixte, along with a certificate. Usually, Calixte would buy a bouquet for his students to commemorate their success, but he hesitated regarding this student in particular. Was it because of what had happened during their lesson before the exam? Calixte was also worried that he could not afford a bouquet of flowers worthy enough for a queen. So what do you give someone who has everything?

He then remembered his promise to her that he would treat Queen Violette like any other student. So, he chose a similarly priced bouquet that he gave his other students and hoped it would not offend the queen for its comparable cheapness to the flowers she was accustomed to receiving.

But what kind of flowers should he give? Calixte spent considerable time in the florists, hesitant to pick. At first, he thought about buying violets but then worried that she would likely receive them all the time and perhaps be tired of them. Then he considered other purple flowers, ones with splashes of white to match the queen's garments, or perhaps flowers with the meanings of 'congratulations' until Calixte stumbled upon a particular bouquet. It was made up of flowers that grew in his and the queen's home country.

When the day of their weekly lesson arrived, Calixte waited in the music room of the royal castle with the bouquet and the certificate. Once the queen entered the room, Calixte presented her with them with a deep and graceful bow.

"Congratulations, Your Majesty." Calixte rose from his bow as the queen took the bouquet. "You have been awarded a distinction, with full marks, might I add!" He grinned proudly; though he knew that with any teacher, the queen could accomplish such a feat with her photographic memory, he was still proud of her.

However, it seemed that the queen was only interested in the bouquet.

"Thank you, Barbeau," she finally said after gazing at the flowers for a long time. "I can't remember the last time I received flowers that weren't violets," she chuckled slightly. "They are beautiful."

"Are violets not your favourite, Your Majesty?"

"They were my mother's. Whilst I enjoy them, after receiving so many gifts relating to violets, it becomes... quite tiresome." She looked down at the bouquet, then said softly, "these grew in our garden in my childhood home." The queen looked up at Calixte. "Thank you, once again."

Calixte sheepishly bowed his head. "It was an honour teaching you, Your Majesty. You should be very proud of your results."

"I don't think I deserve it, though," said Queen Violette.

"I can reassure you, Your Majesty, that you did deserve this mark," said Calixte. "I have known the examiner for many years, and he does not give anyone special treatment regardless of their status."

"That is not what I meant." The queen sucked a breath before continuing, "I have been cheating."

Calixte paused for a moment, frowning in confusion as he registered what the queen was saying. "How would you cheat in a piano exam?"

Sighing, the queen bowed her head as if in shame. "I have an unfair advantage; I was born with magical abilities that far excel any average mage. What is unique about me is my innate skill in memory magic."

After hesitating, Calixte whispered, "did you alter the examiner's memory?"

"No! No, I would never do such a thing! I have never used my powers to do such a thing!" The queen glanced away. "But I have altered my own memory: I cast a spell on myself to enhance my memory to the point where I can remember almost anything that I experience and thus can learn a new skill quicker."