Chapter 61

Day: 1495

Days Left: 3985

Lives Saved: 8

It had been several months since Princess Alfreda had dismissed her three servants. Though they were no longer actively avoiding each other, they were neither speaking if they could help it, everyone finding new social groups to be in and focused on their new work to consider talking.

In this time, Calanthe had finally found the conviction; she was going to leave the Eternal Abyss. Oscar, however, was still undecided as his boyfriend Sumit was still a giant Kraken. The monstrous octopus, fortunately, seemed to be shrinking with each day, much to Oscar and Rin's relief, but both of them were still concerned about Sumit's mental state after the transformation.

"Today's the day..." breathed Calanthe slowly, her hands fidgeting.

Oscar nodded, forcing a smile. "You sure you're alright going by yourself?"

Calanthe winced. "I don't know. I really don't want to have to work alongside Pearl and Daina if that's what the queen means by declaring my fielty to her." She paused. "But a part of me is also scared that something will happen down here, and I won't be able to leave." Calanthe looked around at the village, the numerous wooden houses filling the space, almost making her forget that this was the Eternal Abyss. "I know nothing has happened in ages, and even Blood Moons are safe, but I can't risk it."

"Understandable," said Oscar.

Sucking in a breath, Calanthe felt around her hair. "And you're sure its all gone?"

Oscar smirked. "Yes, for the hundredth time, the horns have gone; they disappeared long ago."

"I just want to make sure! What if even a small part of them are there and when I return to the other side..." Calanthe flipped her arms up. "I don't know what could happen but something could happen!"

After Oscar quelled more of Calanthe's doubts and anxieties, they hugged, Calanthe wiping away her tears, before spending the day going around and saying her goodbyes. With each farewell, it made it even more difficult for Calanthe to leave, knowing that she would soon be safe up there whilst down here they were all... well, they were no longer suffering or struggling to survive, not with all the houses, the aqueduct, the Abyss fruit and the Land of the Lost being just next door, but they were still living in the stone age, their quality of life could have been better.

Calanthe never expected to have made so much friends down here, and be so upset to leave. But what she least expected was Lili hugging her goodbye, the former royal bodyguard appearing to be more approachable and open lately.

Once Calanthe had said goodbye to everyone, there was still half an hour until the designated time of departion. No, not everyone, there was still one person left to talk to.

Princess Alfreda was sat on a cushion on the ground, accompanied by the usual three imps. One of them was drawing her portrait again though this time with a vide assortment of art supplies which Alfreda had found for them in the Land of the Lost. The other two were playing with Alfreda's hair, bunching up random curls and tying them.

When one of the imps picked up a hairbrush, Calanthe had to intervene, gasping in horror.

"No, sweetie," she said, softly taking the hairbrush away. "With this type of hair, you need a specific kind of comb." She rummaged through her little bag that contained all of her hairdressing tools and produced the correct comb.

Calanthe sat down and showed the two imps what to do, then taught them how to plait and style Alfreda's hair in the way she likes.

"Calanthe?" Alfreda hushed quietly, turning her head.