FAQ

Amity and Enmity is finished! To celebrate I will be doing a FAQ (frequently asked questions) as well as giving some details on the next book.

Have a question? Don't hesitate and ask in the comments!

And thank you, as always, for reading!

----------

When will the fourth book be posted?

The first chapter of the next book in the Harm and Harmony series should be posted on Monday 14th August 2023

What is the name of the fourth book?

I am torn between either Welfare and Warfare or Warfare and Welfare. I cannot decide which one sounds better or if there is not enough difference for it to matter. Which one do you prefer?

What are the general vibes for the fourth book?

The fourth instalment in the series will focus on memories, as characters try to deal with their past, try to forget it, or have memories that they have lost returned to them. You will get to read flashbacks of Harmony's past, such as how she met Salim, Ivette, and Reggie and some of the other names/ personas she has gone through.

One of the biggest differences from the rest of the books, however, is that the story will primarily be from Henry's perspective and not Corinna's. There is also a significant time jump, being about four years (might change this), and you will get to see the progress Corinna has made with the village.

How many books will there be in the series?

I am now certain that there will only be five, or at the very least, I will force myself to finish at number five instead of accidentally padding it out and creating a longer series because I have a tendency to overwrite.

How do I come up with my book titles?

The first book, Harm and Harmony, came about because I was reading Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen and liked the use of two similar-sounding words together. I chose Harm and Harmony specifically because of the main character's name, and Harm also being a nickname, whilst both words are opposites of each other, one meaning violence and the other peace, which is also what Corinna has to struggle to choose between throughout the story.

The rest of the book titles, I focused on the general theme and used online dictionaries and thesaurus to find similar-sounding words that meant something opposing.

In Calm and Calamity, there is the 'calm' before 'calamity' at the end of the story.

Amity and Enmity is about being friendly versus being hostile. It is also a reference to the Amity-Enmity complex, which is a theory that protecting friends and hating enemies is essential for human evolution and unity. We see this with Annika, who tries to regain control of her group by unifying with a cause against Corinna's group, claiming that they are the enemy. And then, we see it again later in the story as Corinna tries to keep the village together by ostracising and punishing those who did not pull their weight in the work and exiling those who had been imprisoned for certain horrific crimes.  

What is the likelihood of Corinna and Harmony getting back together?

In all honesty, I do not know yet. I have a rough and broad plan of the last book and what needs to happen, but not much detail yet, so I do now know myself whether Corinna and Harmony will go back to being a couple again. Hopefully, I will have an answer once I get around to writing the fifth book. I also do not know yet how happy/ sad/ neutral the end of the series will be in general, though I have multiple ideas for outcomes for the majority of the characters; again, I will hopefully know what feels right when I cross that bridge.