Chapter 70

Day: 1831

Days Left: 3649

Lives Saved: 9

Queen Corinna gazed down at her son cradled in her arms. It was the first day he was out of care, no longer needing that tube through his nose or constant surveillance. He was finally home, though it was a bit silly to think about it like that since he was previously in the small private royal hospital ward in the castle. But it was different now that he was in her own room. It used to be a spare room for guests as Cori could not bring herself to go into any of her parents' rooms or her sister's, let alone change them. No, this room was to be his and his alone; no bad memories were in this room.

When she was younger, Cori's parents barely visited her, perhaps only seeing her in passing in the castle or once a week for a catchup on her lessons since they were too busy. But Cori wasn't going to repeat that with her own children. She wondered if her mother even held her like this, as Cori did so with her child. No, her mother would have just left her with a servant, though Cori was glad as it meant she got to meet Rhea.

Little Freddy stirred from his sleep, barely able to open his eyes as he stared up at her.

In preparation, Cori studied as much material on parenthood as she could, and sought advice in person. And when she saw those small dark eyes look up at her, she was reminded of a particular study, how it was important for children to see faces, to learn social cues and empathy. Cori wondered if that was the reason why she was the way she was; she never saw her parents' faces or her sister's until she started wearing veils. The only faces she ever saw were the servants, as all royalty had to cover with masks even at such a young age.

But it wasn't just some theory or advice; Cori also wanted to see her son without the mask, without the wall, but what lay beneath... it was damaged and hurt. She was even hesitant to show Elis after a number of years of marriage. No one knew what was underneath but her and she did not know if it would frighten Freddy. Would he cry? Would he scream? Can a baby be horrified at such an age?

Hesitant, Cori's free hand reached for that white featureless mask, and then took it off slowly. In the reflection of her son's eyes, she could see her own face; her dark skin was covered in cracks that dimly glowed neon green, even spreading as far up as her black buzzcut. And then there were those eyes, an unnatural neon green.

Her son did not cry like she had expected nor scream, but stared directly at her, waving his hand aimlessly in the air.

Perhaps it was because he was still too young to understand, his eyesight too poor, but Cori wanted to hold onto the belief that her son did not care about her appearance, and so she kept her mask off for a while longer, as she paced around and rocked her child in her arms.

*

Henry fought through the howling winds, clinging desperately onto Terry and Nia as they were almost whisked away by the storm.

It won't be long now, Henry told himself. I'll find you soon, Corinna.

*

When Corinna fell asleep that night, she opened her eyes to darkness, and there was no queen to greet. She was alone.

She walked through the endless void, and was met with images of Rachel and Bam, images of them smiling and laughing, how they were before the incident. Corinna looked away and walked past them, not allowing them to haunt her.

"You were supposed to be better than Annika!" Bam called out, but Corinna kept on walking, having to step over Bam's corpse and Rachel's invisible remains that appeared before her.