Chapter 56

Day: 1252

Days Left: 4228

Lives Saved: 6

The next day, Alfreda forced herself outside early in the morning. She hesitated to leave, debating whether to use her mask, then settled on being in her fire demon form as they would need her fire abilities anyway in making bricks.

Three imps, the ones she had protected over a year ago and still took a shine with her, ran to her, clutching at her dress as they rambled in their gibberish language.

One of them showed a drawing to her, proudly shoving it into her face until she took it. It was a crude stick-figure picture of the fire demon looking like a child's nightmare monster whilst holding the imp's hand.

Something caught in Alfreda's throat. "We need to find some more colouring pencils for you," she said once she composed herself. "Then you will be able to depict me more accurately. These tools you have at the moment are beneath your abilities."

One of the imps returned with breakfast, handing it to Alfreda.

"Oh, thank you," she mumbled. Alfreda had wanted to force herself and get breakfast herself to prove to Ivette that she was not avoiding Oscar. But she also did not want to turn down the child's kindness.

She sat down with the artist imp, who continued to add to the drawing, adding more flames around Alfreda. The other two eventually returned with more food and ate beside Alfreda, continuing to speak in excitable gibberish.

Alfreda found it challenging to eat, her throat drying up. Why were these three still so attached to her? Perhaps it was because they were stuck in that childish mentality. They would eventually find another person to fixate on, another favourite, especially as Alfreda kept cooping herself indoors like an invalid. That's right; they would leave her too, like everyone else, once they no longer had any obligation. Once they believed that they had returned the favour for her protecting them a year ago, they would leave her alone.

Another prisoner walked past with his breakfast and paused as he looked at the fire demon and then at the three imps, all with horns, sharp teeth, claws, and other similar features.

"So, are they like your children?" the man asked, confused.

Princess Alfreda smirked and replied, "of course not."

"Ah, right, yeah," the man laughed. "That was a silly question-"

"This is Duke Valtair, who is my great, great uncle," said Alfreda, motioning to the imp currently scribbling, the other imps also holding hands.

"And this is my dear third custom four times removed, Princess Thalia."

The said princess had thrown away her cutlery and was scooping up her breakfast with her claws, most of it dribbling down her jumper.

"And then Prince Tristan, who was engaged to my great-grandmother on my mother's side."

She motioned to the imp, who had finished his breakfast and banged his cutlery on the bowl like a drum.

"Uh... I see..." said the man, confused and unsure whether Alfreda was telling the truth. He left after bidding them all a good morning.

After eating breakfast, Alfreda joined the group who were making bricks. They attempted conversation with her, and she also tried to reciprocate, and by that, Alfreda just looked at them and said nothing. The three imps shadowed her, cheering as she released a jet of fire to heat the bricks.

During the day, Alfreda became distracted as she caught sight of Lili, Calanthe, or Oscar, glad they were working on the other side of the village. She would talk to them eventually, Alfreda told herself, and prove to Ivette that she was not being a coward. And then there was Calixte, the amphibian who had not fully regained his energy to assist in any hard labour and was instead helping Oscar and Ivette with the food and plants, avoiding any duties that involved water.