Chapter 49

Day: 1244

Days Left: 4236

Lives Saved: 6

The next several days, Queen Corinna spent with the remaining candidates, the fourth with Prince Fergus, who took her out to see an opera with the best box in the theatre. Whilst Cori enjoyed the performance, she was disgruntled by Prince Fergus' constant commentary and when he mocked one of the actors who stumbled their line.

Fifth was Prince Fiorenzo, the soldier who duelled Princess Natasa at the party. He did not spend the day showing off his fighting ability or magical power, much to Cori's relief. Instead, he took her around art galleries and museums, spouting off random facts he knew, especially regarding anything rhinoceros beetle-related. Cori was surprised to have enjoyed the day, though perhaps that was because they barely talked unless it was to tell each other a fact. She learned a lot about beetles from Prince Fiorenzo; perhaps, one day, that will be helpful.

Prince Ivor was sixth and had the same plan as Prince Fergus, taking the queen to the same opera performance. Cori attempted to act surprised to spare his feelings, but at the very least, he was not as rude as Fergus. Afterwards, they had a reservation at the finest restaurant in the city, with Ivor booking out the whole place to themselves. However, Cori expressed her discomfort in taking off her mask in front of anyone, which caused Ivor to almost erupt in an angry outburst. Still, he contained himself in passive aggression, calling it off even though Cori suggested that they eat with their backs facing each other. The next day, Ivor attempted to make amends for his behaviour, wanting another chance, but Sophia dismissed him, enjoying him grovelling before rejecting him on her cousin's behalf. Not because Cori did not want to do the act herself but because Sophia found it amusing and insisted.

For the seventh day, Cori had to wait until the evening to meet with Prince Karl as the man had planned a spectacular magic performance. When it grew dark and the sun had set, Prince Karl used his magic to create impressive fireworks, most depicting the queen's image. Everyone in the castle was invited to watch, the servants clapping and cheering at the spectacle and the other marriage candidates either sneering in envy or applauding. Cori smirked as she noticed Prince Elis climb onto a tree to watch. At least he kept his promise not to climb on the roof again.

On the eighth day, Prince Li did not use the opportunity to impress the queen like some others but instead chose to spend the day in one of the castle's drawing rooms and play chess and cards, and other games whilst they talked. He expressed how he was a hopeless romantic, wanting to marry for love and would like to wait a few years to know his future bride. Cori thanked him for his honesty but explained that she intended to marry soon as she required an heir and could not wait that long. Prince Li remained cordial but seemed saddened that Queen Corinna declared she was not marrying for love.

"I know we have a duty to our countries, Your Majesty," said Prince Li. "But we are still human and can love. So it is not wrong to think about yourself for a change and what would make you happy, not just your people."

Queen Corinna stiffened. "We just need an heir. We do not need nor want anything else."

Prince Li sighed. "So long as you promise me, Your Majesty, that you will at least get along with your future husband. Even if your love for him is not romantic, please do not trap yourself in a hateful marriage for your people." He then laughed. "Or perhaps fill that void with a harem of concubines."

Second to last of the marriage candidates, on the ninth day, was Princess Natasa, who took the queen to a smithery, where she showed the queen how to make her own armour. Of course, a whole set could not be made in one day, so the princess made a pair of gauntlets with the queen, matching her usual silver outfits. Cori, though having worn armour before, had never seen the process that went into it, admiring Princess Natasa's enthusiasm, dedication, and focus as she smelt the metal and shaped it, turning what were simple materials into a beautiful yet practical pair of gauntlets, that looked like prismatic silver glass. Whilst they were constructing these gauntlets, Natasa shared some war stories, her impressive feats of courage, and some of her near defeats to show some vulnerability.