5

Rory waited outside the school for Asher to come out. Part of her wanted to thank him for stopping the bullies, whether it was intentional or not. But Asher was taken to the Dean's office, as well as the other 3 who were caught up in the fight.

A moment earlier, Terence and his friends were let out. All of them had pink slips in their hands, and Rory knew what it meant. A pink slip meant that all students who lived on campus would have to do penalty University service for the next month. A punishment that they very well deserved.

Rory waited some more nervously while glancing at the large digital clock on the tall building in front of her. It was about 6 PM. She knew she had to get ready to go to the train, but she was afraid Asher would be expelled and that she would never have the chance to speak with him.

Her fears almost erupted when the doors opened, and the Dean with Asher walked out having a deep conversation with each other. Asher was disregarding whatever Dean Risor had to say, and Rory thought it was strange. They were communicating as if they knew each other. Rory decided to put that feeling past her.

Asher kept his eyes ahead and was just about to pass her, but Rory stepped in front of him to block his way. She noticed that there was a dark mark circling his eye. While he was fighting with Terence and his friends, they gave him a black eye. Rory sighed before speaking.

"I um... I just wanted to say... thank you."

"What?" Asher raised an eyebrow, perplexed at her words. "What are you thanking me for?"

"You... well... you helped me get out of a heated situation. If you hadn't stepped in, Terence's friends would've probably hurt me."

"I didn't just step in. Felt like I was caught up in whatever you have going on."

"I'm sorry."

Asher brushed his hair back and looked at the clock. Rory felt like he was looking at the time to hurry somewhere. He didn't seem to care about her apology. "Get out of my way." Asher nudged her aside softly, and Rory let a slight gasp escape her. As Asher strolled away from her, the warm feeling returned to Rory's chest.

She was able to identify it now. Something about Asher was different. He was an Astellian, and he may have come across as rude, but he wasn't a jerk to her off the bat. Not quite. Of course, he was odd and didn't talk much. But he was the first Astellian so far that didn't threaten to beat her or talk bad about her family.

Rory pulled her bag over her shoulder and speed walked to the border train.

~

"Did you get into a fight?" Amir asked Decha as he sat on the bench in the locker rooms. Decha took a shower and was getting ready for their night watch. His hair was still a bit wet and stuck to his skin, while droplets glazed down his muscular abdomen.

"Yeah, I was punched a bit. I handled it properly though. The other guys lost a tooth." Decha placed a towel over his head and began drying his head.

"Geez! This is the first time I've seen you with a black eye." Amir poked Decha in his cheek, and Decha smacked his hand away. "What did you do to get into a fight?"

"A fool threw some pasta at me while I was in the dining hall."

"He through pasta at you? How insulting! How dare he defile you like that? Especially a general."

"The students don't know my real identity. Risor knows me, though."

"That's right." Amir hissed. "I forgot about the whole undercover thing. Have you been able to find out if there's any suspicious activity?"

Sector BOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara