59

Stephen Windsor, an engineering professor at Grandell University was sitting directly across from Rory. Decha remembered him. He was the guy who invented the bullet bus. He was also at the Generals Matchmaking Program a month ago.

Why were he and Risor both here? What was the reason the Professor had to tag along?

"You must excuse their manners, we're not used to having any visitors after the Border Collapse." Jessica placed some plates full of meat and veggies all around the table with the help of the maids.

"No worries," Risor smiled.

"We understand. Our visit was sudden. Generals are facing tense situations every day, so I'm sure these men have a good reason for acting this way." Windsor added to Risor's dismissal.

The entire dining room went silent. Mostly because Amir, Theodore, and Decha not taking his words too kindly.

"You have no idea how relieved I am to see you, Rory." Risor cleared his throat. "When Windsor and I found out that you were one of the refugees who got stuck in Astell after the Border's Collapse, we worried immensely."

"You're my best student," Windsor nodded in agreement.

"She is?" Amir scoffed.

"Of course. She's very bright and intelligent. She always brings a smile to the lab classes, and it's clear she's very passionate about her studies. There she goes," Windsor pointed at her, 

Rory smiled and looked down at her plate shyly. His words were very comforting to her.

"I'm sure many other students are just as passionate as she is," Theodore grumbled.

"Theo..." Jessica sent him a glare. "Mind your words."

"It's okay, Mrs. Chen. The Director is right. All of my students are very passionate. But Rory for some reason... stands out."

"Because she's the only Bracketer in your class?" Amir stuffed a piece of Turkey in his mouth.

"Being a Bracketer doesn't make her stand out. It's her work ethic. Rory, you're very persistent. I always admired that about you. You don't give up as easily as others." Windsor began to eat but cleared his throat after chewing. "Classes have been canceled for a while now, but how have you been keeping up with everything?"

"Well I—" Rory started but Decha intervened.

"Maybe it's best not to talk about work or school while we eat?"

"Yes, but she's my student. I'm just asking because I want to know if there's anything I can do to help her retain the information she learns."

"Have you done that for the other students?"

"I don't see how it's any of your business," Windsor smiled. "Right now, I'm expressing my worry for Rory."

"I've been studying the material on my phone. When classes start again, I'll either be ahead or at the same pace as my classmates. So there's no need to worry." Rory stated, feeling the tension among everyone. "I want to thank you both for thinking of me though. It's reassuring to see you both are safe after all the chaos."

"You're Sweet." Risor hummed.

"Also, Dean Risor, I never got to apologize for my father's harsh words..."

"There's no need. All is forgiven. As long as you are willing to come back to study with us, we'll welcome you." Risor expressed gratefully.

"And I can't wait to see you again in class. Your projects always amaze me." Windsor drank some water from his glass. "Have you made any progress with that one AI?"