Chapter 3: Ribbons and Lace

I'm startled awake to the loudest knock, knock, knock I've ever heard.

"Amelia!" Abigail shouts from the other side of the thick, wooden door.

She sounds muffled and chipper. I hear the door knob turn.

What time is it? What is going on? Still muddled from sleep, I nearly jump out of my skin when a far-to-peppy Abigail comes flying over the threshold.

"He said yes! Your father! He said..." her tone ran flat as playful disgust floods over her features.

"My goodness Amelia, it is nearly 10! Why on Earth are you not up and moving yet?" she asks.

"I didn't sleep well last night." I grumble, pulling the thick duvet over my head.

"tsk, tsk, tsk." I hear. "It is time to get your butt out of bed and for you to get ready!"

I peek from under the covers, being that the light from the windows are too bright.

Abigail is standing at the end of my bed. Her hair is pin-straight, pulled back into a perfect bun. This accentuates her perfect cheek and collar bones. Her eyes are bright and lashes thick and full. Her dress is a beautiful shade of emerald green, making her hair extra glossy and fiery.

She looks radiant.

I can't imagine how I must look right now.

Frizzy-haired, puffy, and shadowed under eyes to top it all off.

"Now get up!" I hear. The heavy duvet is ripped off of me, and I immediately miss it's shield.

**

The next hour consists of vigorous hair brushing, satin and silks being thrown overhead, and it ends with me gripping onto the side of the bed post for dear life.

Abigail squeezes the air from my flattened lungs, with a struggled "oomph."

"This corset is extremely uncomfortable and I despise it." I manage to sputter with the little bit of air I can get.

"Oh hush, wait until you see the finished product." Abigail retorts with a raised eyebrow and a smile. I smile back, nervous with anticipation. I turn to the full length mirror.

"Oh my.." Is all that I can say. I've never seen myself look this way before. So polished. Clean.

Beautiful.

Abigail must dabble in magic and just hasn't told me yet of her new hobby.

My hair is a cluster of pinned, deep brown curls. Ringlets have been set free to frame my face. My eyelashes are thicker and longer than I'm used to. My lips appear pouty and are a shade of deep, silky red. I can't help but feel beautiful. After noting the strategic dusting of rouge on my prominent cheekbones, I look down at my dress in the reflection before me.

The dress has an off-white corset bodice, and the skirt is light pink and layered. There are subtle floral patterns laced throughout the entire gown.

Where did Abigail get this dress? It looks very expensive. Abigail's family has money, I know this, but why spend so much on a day gown? This would be appropriate to wear at a ball or wedding.

"Are we going to the park or to meet Christ himself?" I joke, eyes still wide with awe.

"You look so beautiful though!" She says encouragingly. "You'll definitely find a suitor wearing that piece. I just know it!"

I think she thinks that if she says this with enough finality, it will be spoken into existence.

I don't know if that will happen, but I appreciate her for this none-the-less.

I take a second to admire my childhood friend's certitude. She always seems so fluent in this way of thinking. In contrast, I seem to always stay in a constant state of "what ifs" and worry. I need to push these unhelpful feelings down.

They need to be starved.

I want to be confident.

I want to be alluring.

I want to be positive.

I want to be more like my friend.

Maybe then, I can find someone who will be interested in me. Someone who will rescue me from this large, dusty house that hasn't felt like home for 3 years. Someone to take me away from my distant father.

The only thing I will miss about this place is Eden.

I make a mental note to visit her often.

Before walking out of my chambers with Abigail, I pluck a single flower out of the bouquet beside my bed. I tuck it into my curls, right behind my ear. I pin it in place with a single, golden pin.

Perfect.

The floret is small in size. It is a shade of white that has small pathways of pink along it's petals.

The name of this flower is myrtle.

It is the floral symbol of good luck and prosperity.

Loving Levi Greeneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें