Chapter 10: *Swoon*

*****Amelia's POV******

Levi approaches John and I.

And he does not look happy.

"Levi, this is John Smith. I-" My words are cut off.

"Yes, Amelia. I know who he is. No need for an introduction" He says this with enough venom to send chills through my body, and he's not even looking at me. He is looking at John like he actually wants to murder him. Levi's hands are fisted and stiff by his sides.

I have no idea where this tension is coming from.

I mean we were just having a conversation, for crying out loud.

"Ah, Mr. Levi Greene. It has been ages, hasn't it? Good to see you haven't lost your spunk." John replies cooley with a smile.

I guess the feeling between the two men is mutual.

John grabs a glass of whiskey off of one of the servants trays as they walk past him.

Levi was about to say something else, when John cuts him off.

"How is your father doing, Levi? Your mother?" He questions. John brings the iced liquor to his lips, the glass barely concealing John's mocking smile.

John says this with a menacing undertone, like he's saying something without actually speaking it out loud.

Levi seems to understand the meaning behind it though, because his face turns to stone, and his breathing changes. He inhales slowly and deeply through his nostrils, his eyes are sharp and his jaw clenches.

He's looking at John like he could tear him apart right now. Limb from limb.

I don't want them to cause a scene, so I try to distract them.

"Boys, it really is a lovely evening, don't you think? Let's not ruin the mood with talk of sensitive subjects." I say sweetly, trying to catch the attention of at least one of the hostile men.

It doesn't work though.

Levi finally retorts, "Don't speak about my mother." He's practically growling.

John straightens his posture, as if preparing for something.

A fight? A brawl?

This is not happening. I don't know what or where all of this hostility is stemming from, but I am not going to sit here and let it ruin everyone's night.

I have got to think of something, and fast. Before one of these men throw a punch, and it turns into an all-out brawl in here.

So, I do the only logical thing I can think of.

It's a big risk, I might crack my head on the floor, or embarrass myself. But either way, it will distract them. So I do it.

I swoon.

Hand on my head, head thrown back, and eyes fluttering shut, I let out a small gasp.

I have to really lay it on thick for it to be believable.

Without thinking, I make sure to lean towards Levi, hoping it'll be him that catches me.

I'm falling and I hear gasps fill the room. All eyes on me. The center of attention.

Strong hands and corded arms catch me.

"Amelia? Amelia?!" Levi says frantically.

And I feel bad. He sounds very concerned. It reminds me of how scared he looked when he pulled me out of the water, the day I almost drowned.