Chapter 9: The Smith's Ball

**** Amelia's POV****

The carriage finally comes to a complete stop. I am thankful to have arrived, the awkward silence was almost to much to bear.

After the conversation had finally ceased, I couldn't help but to replay the entire occurrence over again in my mind. Over and over again. Just to make sure what I thought happened, actually happened.

Levi said my name in such a way that almost seemed like the realization of my mother's passing had affected him in some way, but why?

Why was he looking at me through eyes of worry and hurt? Did he feel sorry for me?

I do not want his pity, nor anyone else's for that matter. I'll be damned if all that I am known for is that poor, helpless girl who lost her own mother and now has no one. Not even a father to give her the time of day.

Still, I wonder if I am reading him correctly. He looked like he genuinely wanted to comfort me in that moment. Like he wanted to say something, but couldn't find the words. What could he possibly say? "I'm sorry that your mother died"? No. I don't want to hear that anymore. I have heard that time and time again and it does nothing for me. It does not bring her back, nor does it bring me peace. All it does it remind me that she's gone, that I am alone, and that I have no one.

Besides Abigail, obviously, but she too will soon be gone. Swept away by her lovely Joseph, who is deserving of a kind soul like Abigail.

I hope that Levi can be that person for me. I just want someone who wants me in return. To cherish me as I would him. To enjoy my company and to love me.

I mentally kick myself for being such a hopeless romantic. Does that type of connection even truly exist? I look up at Abigail and Joseph. They are whispering, what I assume to be, sweet nothings in each other's ear.

They are happy just to be within the same proximity of one another, completely content.

If you didn't know any better, you'd assume that they'd known each other for their entire lives.

It seems that this connection does exist.

But does it exist for me as well? Or is it reserved for the rare, deserving couples who find each other, despite all of the odds against them. Couples like Mr. and Mrs. Bishop, and for their daughter Abigail and future son-in-law, Joseph.

I know it's a long shot, but I hope to find this type of person for myself. Maybe that person is Levi, maybe it isn't. All I know is that I want-no-I need to find this person.

I look back to my lap. I can hear the music from inside the ballroom, melodies floating through the walls of the large estate, drifting through the air and into the carriage. It sounds magical.

My heartbeat quickens in my chest, thudding against the corset bodice of my dress. I am nervous. I look over to see that Levi's hand is casually sitting next to mine on his leg.

His finger twitches.

Is his hand aching for mine, just as mine is his?

All I know is, that if it is, I don't want for it to be out of pity. I want it to be out of affection and longing, just as mine are.

I look up at him again, wondering what is going through his thoughts. He returns the glance, striking blue eyes meet my own.

He smiles.

I could get lost in this. The combination of icy eyes and his warm, curved lips is absolutely intoxicating. Inches away from my face, I am drowning in emotion and he doesn't even know it.