Chapter 5: Wicked Thoughts

I stare at Joseph in disbelief. A moment of awkward silence passes.

"So you are..." I direct my attention back to Levi.

He grins and rubs the back of his head. His muscles bunch and tighten from the gesture.

"That's right sweet-heart. And you must be Amelia, the lovely young woman I agreed to meet for an afternoon stroll." Levi then smiles and gives a little bow.

"It's very nice to meet you Ms. Amelia." He then extends his hand to me.

I ignore it.

I don't buy this nice-guy act. This guy was just insinuating that I was both shallow and materialistic. I shoot a look to Abigail.

Abigail looks back at me, then to Joseph, then finally, to Levi. She then looks down. She looks disappointed. Like she isn't ready for her time spent with Joseph to be over.

Torn, she looks back to me.

"Amelia, you're soaking wet. We should get you home." I hear the disappointment creep into the end of her sentence.

I love her and I don't want to ruin her evening with her new suitor. They looked as if they were really hitting it off.

"No, no, that won't be necessary. You two stay and enjoy yourselves. I can see myself home." I say with false enthusiasm.

Hopefully Abigail can't sense it. I am happy for her and want her to continue spending time with Joseph.

"Amelia, truly I don't mind- " She starts again but I cut her off.

"Abigail, really I am fine. I'm going to go home and change into something more... lightweight" I say, making eye contact with Levi at the end of my sentence.

I feel my face, stern and cold. My face is a reflection of my emotions, and I want Levi to see it. I want him to see that he blew any sort of chance he thought he had with me.

Levi looks amused.

"You sure you don't want to stroll?" he says smiling, as if were not both drenched in water and uncomfortable. I answer his question by slipping off his soaking, sodden jacket and handing it back to him.

"No, thank you." I say. He reaches for the jacket and grabs it.

His eyes flicker down to my chest, then back to my eyes.

His eyes become dark again, looking into mine. I swear I see a glimpse of hunger and wanting in them.

He smirks.

I feel a throbbing pulse between my legs and I ignore it.

I'd rather be poisoned than allow him to see the wicked things that he's doing to me without even trying. And to my credit, my face stays sober.

I don't bother raising my arms to cover my peaked breasts. I refuse to look embarrassed in this moment.

I refuse to give him the satisfaction. Chin up, I turn and start up the hill.

"I'll come by later! Be safe!" Abigail says.

"Be safe..." I hear Levi say a little quieter.

I can feel his eyes on me still. All the way up the hill and until I am no longer visible. I do not turn around, I keep on going.

When out of eyesight, I fold my arms over my chest. I do not want the town to see me.

I walk in a hurry down the sidewalks, past the familiar homes I've grown up around. There are a few people on the sidewalks, in their yards, or on benches. I smile at the ones I accidently make eye contact with and keep walking, attempting to avoid the stares that wait around every corner.