Chapter 4: Beautiful Weather We're Having

Abigail's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bishop, are walking a decent distance behind us. I turn around and wave at the happy couple, they smile fondly at me, then go back to their conversation with one another. They are giggling and smiling, consumed with each other even after many years of marriage.

I bet they don't even know what color umbrella they're holding.

They're too deep in conversation.

The Bishops have something I admire. Something I long for.

Happiness and true love.

I can only dream of one day experiencing that kind of connection with another human.

Abigail's mother, Mrs. Mabel, was my mother's best friend. She was there for me after my mother's passing. She'd make me baked good and bring me gifts. She'd check on me and make sure I was eating and bathing. She would sometimes come over just to simply check on me and ask me how I was doing. She'd offer to talk about it. This, I'm sure, was her way to offer her ear as an outlet for my grief.

I know the loss of my mother hurt her too. She sometimes looks at me with a sadness so deep, it almost overtakes me right where I stand. I feel for her as well. She lost her best friend. I can't imagine losing Abigail. But still, at least Mrs. Mabel has Mr. John, her husband, to be there for her. That must have helped her manage her grief immensely.

I remind Abigail all the time of how lucky she is. To have two loving parents who are present, mentally and physically. A mother who is still here. I feel a twang of sadness begin to bubble up.

Push. It. Down.

And I do. I distract myself. I decide to take in my surroundings. Abigail and I are arm in arm. We're walking the wide paths of the park.

The paths wind and curve around bushes and trees. There are many people here today. Everyone is dressed elegantly and neatly, no doubt showing off their daughters and sons in light of the new season.

There are children playing with one another on blankets in the shade. Birds are chittering in fountains, and there is a delightful breeze. It's not to warm, nor to cold. The weather truly is perfect. The path forks down the road a ways. One way leads down a hill to the lake and dock. The other direction makes a circle around the entire park.

I glance at the lake. I can't see details from here, it's to far away. I can only tell it's large and beautiful. The sun is shining and there are a few clouds in the sky. White and puffy.

I am happy to be here. I am happy to be out of the dark fortress that I call my home.

I am soaking this up.

"So, I forgot to ask. Who is this lovely suitor that you were rubbing in my face yesterday?" I ask jokingly.

Abigail grins, a blush spreading across her face.

"His name is Joseph Miller. He wrote me and actually told me that he might be here today!" she says.

"Might?" I question.

Looks like I'll be the odd one out, I think to myself.

Abigail grins before responding, "Well, he mentioned that he has family coming in today from another town that's a good ways away. If they arrive on time, he plans to bring them here to show them around, and to introduce them to friends. He worded it as if they would be staying a few weeks. I think they want them to become acquainted with the community since they'll be here a while." She finishes.

As if she spoke him into existence, a tall, smiling man rounds the corner of the path.

From the way he and Abigail are grinning at each other, I can tell that this must be Joseph. Abigail picks up the pace to close the distance.