Chapter 21: Exposed

An uncomfortable bead of cold, slick sweat slides down the nape of my back.

I release a slow, steady breath from behind the flora, keeping my sights set on him.

He knows that I am here and he knows that I am listening.

John and Amelia are at the table of assorted goods right in front of my refuge, smiling at one another and chatting idly.

I watch them intently, trying to keep my breaths shallow and quiet.

John subtly turns his head towards me. Amelia still looks down at her drink, smiling softly to herself.

He winks at me. The same way he did when he saw me in the garden of Eden. Would he leave me undetected by Amelia, as he did then?

Or will he alert her to my presence?

I hold my breath, waiting to see what he does now.

"So Amelia, are you still keeping the company of Levi Greene? He seemed rather taken with you at my ball a few weeks ago. I figured you two would be in the full swing of courtship by now with an engagement on the way." he said with a smile and large eyes set on her, eager for her response.

Wanting me to hear what she has to say.

Amelia's smile falters for a mere moment before she corrects it, seeming to convince the corners of her mouth to stay in an upturned smile.

"I have not seen him in quite some time, I guess he forgot about me." she said with a forced giggle.

I can see right through her façade. She is hurt by my absence.

Hope selfishly blooms in my chest at the sight of it.

John rolls his eyes in indifference.

"Well, my dear, if that is true- then it is certainly his loss. You should know that you do indeed deserve better than Levi Greene. The man is certainly not husband nor father material." he said with a snicker.

Amelia allows herself to frown a little.

Maybe she can see through his bullshit.

"What makes you say that? He was kind enough to me when I was around him.." she asks, tipping her head forward.

"Amelia dear, Levi is a man with commitment issues and a short temper. I grew up with him. While he did have a rough childhood, he would certainly use it as an excuse to give you a life of lack." John says with a look of endearment and concern.

Lack. Is that true? Would Amelia's life be lacking if she were with me? The thought of her settling for me when she deserves so much more makes my chest feel hollow.

"I, on the other hand, would never." he continues, drawing out his poisonous words as he reaches for her hand.

Amelia's lips part as a blush spreads across the apples of her cheeks.

She's flattered.

She allows him to take her hand and John slowly brings it to his lips, kissing the tip of her gloved knuckle.

Heat rises from deep within my chest. The sweat that was once cool on my back turns molten as I watch Amelia's reaction to this snake of a man.

I may not be perfect, but I am certainly better for her that he is.

"Well, I am certainly beginning to believe you." Amelia whispers, her lashes fluttering and that sweet smile gleaming.

A smile that isn't for me.

I almost can't contain the green jealousy that threatens to swallow me whole.

John returns her smile, looking at her intently through lustful eyes.