Chapter 12: Wolf's Bane

*******Amelia's POV********

My front door closes behind me with a heavy click.

What in the hell was all of that about?

Everything that happened tonight has left me feeling uneasy and unsettled. 

I think over Levi's cryptic wording..

He had this intensity about him that has left me more than concerned.

"He is extremely dangerous and you need to stay away from him."

Why would he say that? I've known John since we were children. He's always been so timid and sweet. Though, we haven't seen each other for a few years. I assumed he was pulled from school and must have been taught at home. He didn't have many friends and couldn't go one day without someone giving him a hard time. He was the smallest boy in our class and was as quiet as a mouse; a recipe for disaster. 

But he was always kind to me. He'd help me with my school work and give me pencils when I'd forget mine. 

And tonight, he was nothing short of a gentleman. 

Even with Levi's condescending comments and accusatory glances. 

He met my eyes with kindness. He seemed  so concerned when I "fainted".

Not to mention, he is no longer the smallest boy around. He's grown much taller, with broad shoulders and a set of muscled arms to match. He's good looking. 

Very good looking. 

And did I mention he seemed interested in me? He was smiling through our entire exchange and spoke to me in a way that made me feel like he had missed me. And his eyes spoke volumes. He liked what he saw.

If he was acting, he'd have to be a damn good actor.

I'm not saying Levi's lying about John's character, but maybe they've just had a misunderstanding in the past. 

Maybe that's all it is. 

A misunderstanding.

Another thought crosses my mind.

What if Levi only said those things out of... jealousy?

He couldn't possibly be jealous of me having a conversation with another man, could he?

I mean, he isn't even interested in me, or at least I didn't think he was. Also, I wouldn't pin him for a man who lies either. 

Even out of jealousy.

Even if Levi truly believes John Smith is dangerous, why was Levi acting so... territorial?

I am not Levi's problem. Not his damsel in distress, looking for the protection of a man. 

I can take care of myself. 

I press the heels of my palms into my eyes and let out a sigh of frustration.

I meet a handsome man who isn't interested in me (I'm still not 100% sure about that), and then I meet another man who seems to be interested, but he's "dangerous".

Annoyed, I walk up the winding staircase to my bed chambers. 

I need to sleep. 

My head is throbbing, and I rub my sore temples, inhaling deeply through my nose. 

I finally make it to my room and shed my golden dress, the fabric falls in a heap around my ankles. 

I carefully step out of the dress and make my way over to my chest of drawers. I pull out a loose, white nightgown. I slip it on carelessly over my pinned hair, hoping the pins wont make my scalp to sore since I plan to sleep in them.