Chapter 26: Black Roses

***Amelia's POV***

The corners of my vision are blurred from the searing pain that is currently shooting through my skull.

With each throb, my jaw locks harder- relentlessly threatening to crack the teeth in between.

My eyes squeeze shut and my chin tucks in, bending at the pain's will.

I hear movement from somewhere near.

A deep, gravely voice in the darkness.

"So what do we do with her, boss?" it asks.

Another voice,  a voice that is lighter and filled with malice and venom responds.

"Well... I am certainly in no rush to return her. Actually... I don't think I will. John needs a new play thing."

A chuckle.

Okay. So there are two men near me.

I dare to crack my eyes open, the dim light in the room proving to be my second worst enemy.

Second to whoever's voice fills my ears.

I hiss, my whole body tensing at the acute pain that now rattles off the inside of my skull.

"Jesus, Clyde how hard did you kick her? I didn't order you to give the girl brain damage. She is just collateral damage after all. Not the poor girl's fault that she got entwined with my son."

Ah, so Levi's father is my captor.

I mean, I gathered that already, but I wasn't sure if this was his or John's doing.

Throb, throb, throb.

I hear footsteps fall closer and closer to me until they stop, inches before where I lay curled into a ball on the hard floor.

I feel a trickle of something sticky and warm sliding down my temple.

I am bleeding.

I'd wager that I have a pretty nasty concussion.

If I were home, I'd make a tea to help it.

I'd need rosemary..ginger...

"Amelia, darling, can you try to open your eyes for me?" the deep voice asks, slicing my thought in two before I could finish it.

His voice is entirely too loud for my sensitive senses.

I try to crack the slits of my eyes once again, anything to prevent another attack.

I don't know that I could withstand any more blows to the head.

My eyes open, and the world is a blur before me. The familiar pain shoots through my head once more and I try to shut my eyes again, but I feel a stern calloused hand grip my chin. He yanks my chin upwards, forcing me to look up.

I met his eyes, and my vision focused.

I see the eyes of the man I love.