Chapter 19: Moving Forward

******Amelia's POV******

It has been eight weeks since I was left in the garden, freezing my fingertips off, waiting for a man who'd never showed. 

For a while, my mind wandered endlessly, trying to put together pieces of a puzzle that were never meant to be. They were never meant to fit together.

There would always be a gap somewhere, from a piece that was forced to fit, against it's will, all with the hopes of creating a beautiful picture. 

A beautiful life.

I feel like that's what Levi and I were doing, before that night I was left in the garden.

Or at least, this is what I've told myself as the days passed. I've said it to myself so many times, that I actually believe it now. For the most part, anyways. 

I filled Abigail in on everything that had happened. Everything.

She was angry for me, and I was angry too, for a while. 

She'd mentioned Levi to Joseph at one point, who had said he hadn't seen or heard from his friend either.

It's like he vanished off the Earth. As if he were never here. 

I might have believed that I had made him up, in a fit of desperation or loneliness, if Abigail and Joseph hadn't known him, too.

But still, weeks have passed and I've busied myself with tedious, small things to keep my mind from hopelessly wandering to him. 

Gardening, cleaning, sweeping, mopping, shopping, walking. 

But still, there are times when my thoughts drift to these places against my will. Places like the canopy, the alley, and the lake.

I decided weeks ago that I could not sit there and wait for a man who did not want me. 

A man who saw me and felt regret. 

Who felt like I was a mistake. 

The courting season is over halfway finished already, and I need to find true love. Someone who will put me first and show me how it feels to be in love. 

I thought I knew what that felt like, but then I realized that love is not regretful. It is not deceitful. It is honest, and open, and caring. 

I also decided then, that I was going to get back out there. I was going to go to events and mingle, and dance and allow someone to sweep me off my feet.

I deserved it. 

Which is why I allowed Abigail to talk me into going to a tea party at the park, for all of the young men and women who were involved with the courting season.

I am currently trying on different dresses for this event. Abigail and Joseph will be here in an hour or so to pick me up. 

My hair and makeup are complete.

My hair is a riot of brown curls, carefully pinned up with a few coils left to hang free. 

I had dabbed a subtle pink rouge on the apples of my cheeks and my lips.

All that was left was choosing the dress.

I sigh as I look between the two dresses laid on the bed before me. 

The dresses are almost identical, lace and ribbons with a boned corset bodice, and enough skirts to guarantee that I'll have no need for a hoop skirt. 

The dress that lay on my left is a pale mint-green and to my right is a beautiful powder blue. 

I stare at the blue dress.