Chapter 22: Abigail

********Levi's POV*********

"-So now my father has me doing these horrible things, using Amelia to force me to complete them. I've been checking in on her when at all possible, like you've caught me doing today. I just had to make sure she was okay."

I finish telling Abigail every single relevant detail of these past few weeks.

I scan her face for a response.

She just stares at me with a contemplative look displayed on her face.

Just when I was about to say something else, anything else to put an end to the dead air floating around us, she speaks.

I am not prepared for the question she asks me.

"Do you love her Levi?" Abigail asks quietly, a look of seriousness and concern has settled into her green eyes meeting mine.

I do not think about it. I didn't have to.

I told Abigail I would be honest.

I would not lie.

I am done lying.

"Yes. With everything that I am." I say, feeling breathless. I continue.

"I just want her to be safe from my father and John. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if anything ever happened to her because of me. Because of my carelessness. And now John  knows that I am here, that I have been watching her, he's going to pursue her and Abigail, I am afraid he will hurt her. To get to me." My entire response was a hushed, quick sentence that fell off my tongue.

"I do not know what to do Abigail. She hates me. She thinks I have found someone else and forgotten about her." I say, hopelessness filling my voice and betraying me.

Before I can stop it, a single tear slides down my cheek. I hadn't even realized it was threatening to fall, my shield of masculinity disintegrating for the only person worthy of such a thing.

Amelia. I love her.

I am looking down when I feel a small hand touch my shoulder.

Abigail has stepped forward and her face is now a mixture of sadness and pity.

"I do not want your pity, Abigail. I just wanted your understanding." I mumble sternly, feeling my shield forming again.

It is not gentleman-like behavior to let feelings show. She might think that I am weak and unworthy of her friend now.

She opens her mouth to speak, moving her hand away from my shoulder.

"Levi, I do not pity you. I am empathizing with you. I see your truth. I can see how much she means to you. I am sorry your father is putting you through this." Her eyes begin to water as well.

"If you say that John is a bad man, up to no good, then I believe you. I can see the sincerity on your face. You speak the truth." Abigail says looking over her shoulder at Amelia around the hedge.

"And I am going to do everything in my power to keep him away from her." She finishes, a look of fierce certainty on her face.

"Regardless of where you stand in this predicament, no one hurts my best friend and gets away with it. If John is a threat, I will treat him as such." She says sternly.

I am grateful that the love of my life has an Abigail.

"They are going to your soiree together tomorrow. She's already accepted his invitation of escort." I say, deflated words falling from my mouth.