Chapter 27: Candlewax

***Levi's POV***

"How can we help?" Abigail asks with her hands, her voice urgent as she paces back and forth in front of the fire place.

Joseph sits to the side of the fireplace in a cushioned chair, one hand propped underneath his chin and the other fidgeting in his lap.

I am standing near the door, trying to figure out what to do next. 

"First, I have to figure out where they took her." I say under my breath. 

It's taking every fiber of my being to keep my growing anger under control.

If I give in to my emotions right now, I'd set this entire estate on fire.

Joseph sits upright in his chair. "Well, you know your father and John better than we do. Where do we start?" 

"That's the thing. I have no idea. There are a multitude of spaces he has used for hurting people scattered along the map of this city. Abandoned storage facilities, dark alleyways, basements under businesses. The possibilities are endless." 

Frazzled, I run my hands through my hair. 

My father loves playing these games with his victims. The thought of inducing panic while frantically searching for a loved one was one of the many ways I've seen him torture poor souls in the past. 

I sigh, letting go of the familiar feeling of defeat and summoning my inner determination.

We are wasting precious time. We have got to start moving. 

Have to start looking.

"Lets start with his office." 

*** 

Striding quickly up the staircase, I hear Abigail and Joseph keeping a quick pace behind me. 

We take a right at the top of the stairs, heading straight for the end of the hallway. 

I hardly come up here, not unless I absolutely have to. 

Even the hallway leading to his office has a dark, looming presence to the air.

We finally reach the end of the hallway and I stop at the door. 

I knock, knowing he more than likely isn't on the other side of this heavy door. 

He's with Amelia and John and all of his goons.

When no one answers, I attempt to turn the door handle. I hear a click, and slowly swing the door open, cautious of who or what may be waiting on the other side. 

His study is mostly dark and filled with black shadows. The only light comes from atop his desk in the center of the room, a candle perched there, as if waiting for our arrival. 

Wax has melted down the side of the candle holder, falling onto the dark oak beneath it. 

Suddenly hyperaware of the risk of just being in this room, I call out into the darkness.

"If anyone is in here, show yourself." I growl, knowing the darkness of the room would aid to their advantage. 

This whole scene is was intentionally set to look menacing.

When no one answers, I take another step forward, glancing back at Abigail and Joseph.

"Stay there. I don't know what to expect."

Abigail nods and Joseph keeps a stern expression, one that says: I don't agree with you, but still, he stays stagnant.

I nod to him in thanks, and turn back to the candle. 

Slow, steady steps. 

I approach the desk and am horrified to what I find waiting for me. 

A single envelope lays underneath the wax of the candle. The top right corner is covered with a waterfall of hardened, yellow wax, telling me that it has been lit for a few hours at least.

In intricate scrawl is one word: "Levi".

He knew I'd come looking here first, this is all premeditated. 

My stomach sinks into the floor, leaving me dizzy with fear for my beloved.

I pick up the envelope, again, terror rearing it's ugly head and then consuming my own. 

I rip it open, frantically pulling the letter out to see what my father has written for me. 

It was then that I saw a single chocolate curl fall from the torn envelope, fluttering to the floor and landing in a perfect, shiny coil. I bend down and pick it up, it's soft as silk in my palm. 

Amelia.

I feel a hot tear slide down my cheek. A tear forged from anger and hurt and regret.

Regret from getting her into this mess in the first place.

For falling for her.

She could be dead right now and it's all my fault. Because I let myself fall in love with her.

Because I got her involved with my bullshit.

I unfold the letter and begrudgingly read.

Levi, If you are reading this, I hope you understand the gravity of the pain in which you have caused this poor woman. I told you there would be consequences if you went against me. The fact that you thought yourself to be so stealthy as to outwit your own father, is rather insulting. You work for me. You are mine. I made you with the hopes that you'd one day rise up and aid me in my work. Our work. I have done horrible things, sure, but nothing is worse than the things you have forced me to do to this poor....beautiful girl. But no worries, if she survives, John will aid in making sure she is well taken care of. A gift from me to him. My true son. 

A red lens sets over my vision, tinting everything I view with a burning rage of hatred and vengeance. My hands are balled fists at my sides, the note crumbling in my left hand.

I turn to the doorway where I find Abigail and Joseph staring at me with inquisitive, worried looks plastered across their stark white faces. 

I walk towards them, feeling anger and rage pulsate through every tightened muscle in my body. 

"I know where they are." My voice is low and husky to my ears. 

Abigail meets my gaze, a look of determination like I've never seen in her before looks back at me. Joseph is a mirror of emotion next to her. 

I push past them, leading the way back down the hallway, out the front door, and into the cold night air.

"I'm coming for you, Amelia" I whisper to the night sky, hoping and praying that somehow she hears me, can be comforted by my words.

But deep in the pits of my gut, I know better.

I pray that I'm not to late. 

****************************************

Hey guys! 

Thank you for being patient with me once again; being a nurse, mom, and wife comes first so sometimes life gets crazy and it takes a little while before I can find the time to sit down to write. Still, if you're reading this, thank you so much for sticking with my story, and I hope you have enjoyed it this far. 

Please like and comment if you have!

The next chapter won't take near as long to be posted, scouts honor!

Happy reading!

xoxo- Allie