Chapter 16: The Canopy

****Amelia's POV****

Levi still has my hand in his. He's leading me deeper and deeper into the dense forest.

The only thing that I can see in front of me is darkness.

My eyes haven't adjusted yet, and I am trusting Levi to guide me entirely.

My legs thighs and calves are burning from the exertion, but still I push, needing to create as much distance between us and the law enforcement as possible. I hear them just on the edge of the forest.

We need to keep moving.

So we do.

Levi guides me, still tightly gripping my sweat slicked hand, leading me through the dense brush. I don't know how he's able to maneuver through these trees with this much ease. He seems to have the forest memorized.

How much time does he spend out here?

I trust him enough to continue to lead me, until finally, we come to a stop. He pulls me behind a large tree, shielded with brush and briers on both sides of it.

We're far enough into the forest now that he flicks open his lighter, the flame giving us a scant amount of perception to our surroundings.

Levi then uses the lighter to create a small fire, illuminating our small space in the forest.

The tree that we've taken refuge behind has a thick trunk, it's at least four feet wide. Thick moss lazily hangs from it's branches, creating a dense wall,  shielding us from the outside world. There are bushes and brush on the ground, aiding our camouflage further.

Looking at our surroundings, I realize that we are safe. We're deeper in the woods than most are willing to reach, and we are completely undetectable.

We are safe.

And alone.

We're both sitting on the ground, breathless and attempting to gather ourselves. I look at Levi, who is grinning at me and I feel a tiny flip in my lower stomach.

I smile back at him and a giggle escapes from my lips.

Now we're both laughing hysterically, heads tilted backwards, leaning on the heels of our hands.

I could listen to his laugh for decades.

It sounds warm and deep. Carefree.

It is captivating.

His blue eyes are closed and wrinkled from smiling, his bright white teeth are on full display. Deep dimples are making an appearance in his cheeks.

He's so handsome.

His laugh starts to naturally subside and he makes eye contact with me. His eyes seem to narrow in on me.

As if remembering what we were doing before we started our journey to this place.

I see hunger flash across his dauntless features. He tilts his head down, looking at me, at all of me. He runs his tongue along the inside of his bottom lip.

It looks like he's remembering what I tasted like.

Wetness gathers between my legs. My lips part, and suddenly I'm breathless all over again.

Levi leans towards me, now inches away from my face.

"Where were we.." he whispers.

Goosebumps quickly spread across every inch of me. A pulse begins to throb between my slick folds at my center.