11.

Chapter eleven | Layla
"Heyy." Damien says softly as he caresses my back, planting a kiss on my forehead, as my gaze travels up his face, he looks almost...bored, his hair is messy around his head and his eyes as hollow as ever, which isn't surprising, I'm used to this look, but I'm getting tired of it.

Our relationship is almost like a fucking friendship, a screwed friendship actually, it wasn't like this at the beginning, we weren't like this, he slowly sits in front of me, lighting up a cigarette as surprise glints down my spine, he never smokes, hell he even used to mock Adrian for doing so, "since when do you smoke?" I ask raising a confused brow, he shrugs off his shoulder, "I just need to focus." He says not looking me in my eyes.

"But-" I begin to talk but he stands up walking away, "Damien" I yell, standing up, irritation filling my chest, "just fucking leave me alone Layla! I have lots of shit on my mind and whatever you're going to say isn't important right now!" He yells over his shoulder causing me to freeze in my place, the pain that forms in my chest quickly turns into anger as I walk in the opposite direction bursting out of this fucking house.

✿ ✿ ✿

It's been over two hours since I left, I called Damien telling him that I need to stay a night at my house, he just left it on seen at first then called me back reassuring me to take as much time as I need, and the way he talked to me...was kind of suspicious, maybe it's my overdramatic thoughts, but my gut is telling me otherwise, which made me come back here, at Damien's house, it's 9 pm.

I step out of my car, knocking on the door, it takes several moments before someone opens the door for me, Adrian, my heartbeats pick up the moment my eyes clash with his, and a smirk pulls at the corner of his lips as he opens the door wider, "where is da-" I don't even finish the sentence before he replies, "upstairs, the room beside mine." He says, his voice deeper, I swallow and nod while walking upstairs.

It takes a couple of seconds before I find the room Adrian instructed me to, I walk towards it straightening my shirt, raising my fist to knock on the door, I wait a second, no one opening the door, I knock again but I'm met with the same silence although I hear a few noises coming from inside, I inhale a deep breath as I press my fingers on the handle.

Just as I step inside, my breath hitches as I take in the scene in front of me, Damien is naked and there's..a girl, no two girls actually, they're sprawled on the sofa, tears well in my eyes when he stands up covering himself as he takes a step towards me, I immediately start walking away, "Layla no, wait!" He yells and curses when I run down the stairs, tears blur my vision, as I brush past his mother who screams at me for stepping over something, I don't even hear her as I step outside, the cold air hitting my face.

I stare ahead of me, immediately walking towards their parking, I search for my car keys in my bag, cursing under my breath when I find nothing, I must've forgotten them inside, I'll have to get a cab, I carefully pick my phone up then pause when I hear a car parking beside me, I turn around seeing a black mustang, fuck it's Adrian "Layla." He says and my eyes narrow at him, he runs his tongue across his teeth, "leave Adrian, I don't want your pity." I say immediately and I earn a glare from him, we stay like this for a moment, glaring at each other before some droplets of rain cascade down my face as I feel a cold breeze brushing through my skin, I shiver but start walking,

"I'd never pity you, darling, I just want you to get in the car." He says, my heart seems to be ignoring the pain bursting through it because it just beats harder, fuck you Adrian and your words, and your goddamn brother, the rain falls harder, soaking my clothes and making them stick to my body, "get in the car, Layla" Adrian says again, his voice harder, and if we're being fair, it's a lost case that I actually manage to go home without a car in this lovely weather.

I sigh and walk towards his car, he clicks open the door, and I slowly get inside, my clothes soaking the leather, "I'm sorry, I'll-" I start but his voice stops me, "I couldn't care less about it." He says and I relax a little, knowing that Adrian never says something that he doesn't mean, making this more convincing and reassuring at the same time.

A couple of moments pass before realization dawns over me, "you knew." I say, my lips parted as I stare at him, he keeps his eyes on the road but his hands tighten around the steering wheel, that's why he was so content with me coming, tears form in my eyes again but for a completely different reason, I turn around and stare ahead at the window but see nothing.

The tears slowly cascade down my cheeks but the car comes to a halt, "what?" I ask sniffing, he turns to face me, and a new expression covers his face, a mix of plea and pain, "don't cry, please." He says In a soft tone, that just makes me cry harder, "how long has this be-been going on?" I stutter, wiping away my tears as fresh ones form in my eyes, he purses his lips and turns away from me.

I grab his hand with both of mine, forcing him to face me, that's a bold move that I'd never do if I'm not in this fucking state but I'm done with people turning away from me, his face is neutral, blank even, but his erratic pulse under my skin is unmistakable, his chest rises with faster breaths, "Layla." He warns, his hot breath falling on my skin from how close we are, I drop his hand and lean back in the seat, "what do you want to know, darling?" He asks and I frown, all my pain turning into anger once again, good.

"Every fucking thing you know about this Adrian, don't leave out a single thing, please." I say, my voice filled with both anger and desperation, "it started over a month ago." He says and i close my eyes, hearing all the nasty details that comes after this, more tears fall down my face just like the rain pouring outside.

A sob tears from my throat when he's finished, I can almost hear my heart cracking inside my chest, Adrian raises his thumb and softly brushes away my tears "please don't cry...what do you want me to do?" He asks so softly I'm not even sure if that's really him, I look at him, and it's like I'm seeing this person for the first time, I don't think I've ever realized how fucking breathtaking he is, because the moment my eyes meet his, all the oxygen is stolen from my lungs, his arms are suddenly wrapped around my shoulders and I bury my face in his chest, muffling my cries as he holds me tighter.

I pull back eventually as he lets go of me, sniffing as I swallow down the knot in my throat, "I just want to go home." I whisper, exhausted, he looks at me for a beat before shaking his head, "you're not safe, you can't go home." He says his voice not as soft as before but still bearable, "I'm not going back there." I say, my voice serious, he nods in understanding, then runs a hand through his hair, "you're coming with me then." He says and my brows shoot up.

"Where?" I ask, and for some reason, excitement spreads through my veins, "my house." He says and confusion builds through my mind, "what house? Isn't that...your house?" I ask and he shakes his head, "no, darling, I have my own house, if you didn't notice, I'm not really a mommy's boy, it's a long story.." he says when he notices that I'm having a hard time processing all this info.

I suck in a breath when realization dawns in, he brushes a strand of my hair behind my ears as he stares right into my eyes, his eyes so black you could drown in them, "do you trust me, Layla?" He asks, his voice raspy and breathless, "yes." I breathe out, he smiles a little, "you really shouldn't." He says, and for some reason, this sentence doesn't faze me, I don't even know why I trust Adrian, maybe it's a stupid decision, but only time will prove that, And I hope that for once, luck will be on my side.

I think this is one of my favorite chapters 😭

A vote is really appreciated