18.

Chapter eighteen | Layla
I think we've both been ignoring what happened earlier, brushed it off like it's a normal thing, and I'm grateful for that, "Ugh—do we have to go?" I ask, groaning as I drop my head in my hands, Adrian looks up from his plate, "if you don't want to go, I'll tell them, don't pressure yourself." He says raising his brows, I sigh, knowing that there's no way I'm doing this, "I just—I don't like birthday parties, and—this time it'll be more awkward." I say and cut the piece of pancake with my fork.

"I know that you don't—but is there any specific reason for that?" He asks, I swallow the knot forming in my throat as I contemplate whether I should just blur out another lie or tell him the truth, "you know....my mother." I say and he stares at me, his gaze softening a little, as I swallow again, it's hard to talk about her, especially since she died when we were on bad terms.

"She—used to make them bad, you know—she was just so strict, especially well with my diet,, so it's.." I pause as I run a hand through my hair "look I know it's not that big of a deal but it felt like everyone was enjoying my birthday except me, they all danced and ate cake, while I stayed beside her, dizzy and tired—it didn't feel...like a party Adrian, it felt like a burden." I say, letting out a breath.

He sighs, rubbing his jaw, "it's a big deal Layla, and she's not here to make any of this bad for you anymore, you'll enjoy every moment darling, I promise." He says and I nod, unsure if I trust myself to speak, so I take a bite of my food, Adrian made us pasta, he even gave Reina and Ezekiel some, And I'd be lying if I said that his food tastes bad,

"When is the party?" I ask brushing a strand of my hair as I look up at him, "Nash said it's around five." He says, placing his elbows on the table as his hands rest under his chin, his eyes right into mine, I nod, looking back at my food, not able to keep eye contact, it's too—sharp, too intense.

"you seem like an introvert." He says and my brows furrow, "me? No, I told you why I hated birthday parties, it's not about me being an introvert." I say frowning, he raises a brow as he rolls his sleeves up, and why does that look so hot? There must be something seriously wrong with me, just the hormones, I'm sure.

"Oh, but you are." He says and I shake my head, I'm not an introvert, I'm even outgoing, and I love being with people "you just don't know it, Layla, you convince yourself that you love going out and being surrounded by people but your anxiety eats you up, you always appear to be interested in whatever anyone is saying, always listening to them babbling about shit, you even join sometimes, playing games and all that, but your mind is somewhere else, your thoughts are fighting inside it, what if I look bad? What do people see when they look at me? What time is it? How many hours till I get home? Will they make fun of me if I took another slice of this? You're not an extrovert Layla, you just believe that you are because you feel obligated to become someone that's not you," He says and my eyes widen, I don't like this, it feels like I'm totally transparent In front of him.

And for a moment I think he's finished but he proves me wrong when he starts speaking again, "but the truth is, you find peace in being alone, or maybe just surrounded by three people that you trust but you're at home, you love the silence here, you're exhausted of having to put on an act 24/7, when you're alone you're just your true self, the one you don't show to people, the one that slips when you talk about something you love, the one that you hide from everyone, because you don't want people to see your flaws, because what if they don't like me? What if they leave? You're scared of abandonment, so you simply just torture yourself in order to be the perfect person for everyone." He says and I feel tears forming in my eyes.

His gaze softens, as he stands up and kneels beside my chair, my eyes snap to his, "you don't have to hide from me, darling." He says as he leans in, brushing the tears falling down my cheeks, "why didn't you kiss me earlier?" I blurt out before I even consider the question, he looks up, his eyes sparking with light, "you didn't want me to." He whispers, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallows, I let out a breath and turn my head away.

He leans closer and for a moment I think he'll kiss me, but then he plants a kiss on my temple, his finger slowly caressing my cheeks, "I'm not kissing you tonight." He says and frustration bubbles through my chest, I don't know what's wrong today, he leans closer again, his lips brushing my earlobe, "because when I do, Layla, I don't want you to blame it on your hormones, and later on, you don't get to deny that you wanted me, and you still. Fucking. do." He whispers and heat spreads through my belly, his hand comes down again, caressing my abdomen, before he plants a kiss on my cheek and stands up, leaving me hot and bothered.

✿ ✿ ✿

"Happy Birthday sweetheart!" Victoria cheers as she takes me in a bear hug, I smile, and when she pulls back a little kid comes running beside her, "Layla! Happy birthday—look I got you this!" Ronan holds up a rose, as I kneel in front of him, bringing him close to my arms as he giggles, my name is the only name he pronounces right, until now and I'll forever be bragging about this.

"Thank you, sweetie." I plant a kiss on his cheeks and he turns around as Adrian approaches us, he carefully leans into his ear and whispers something that causes Adrian to frown as he stares at me, "what did he say?" I ask when Victoria takes her child and leaves, a laugh slipping out of me, "he said I should be jealous because he got to kiss you and I didn't." He says and I laugh harder, "it's not funny." Adrian deadpans, his voice serious as I try not to smile again but I miserably fail.

"So you're together now? As everyone says, I mean." A voice joins causing my smile to fall and I turn around, my eyes crashing with Damien's as I feel Adrian's hand on my waist, "yes we're together." Adrian replies, his tone calm but his eyes shooting daggers into Damien's, he sighs and runs a hand through his hair, clearing his throat, "can I talk to you? Both." He says and my brows furrow as a frown appears on Adrian's face.

"Uh okay." I say scratching my neck and Adrian's jaw ticks, but he doesn't protest, "okay okay—so, I've been an asshole towards you, I'm sorry." He says and I blink a couple of times, not sure if I'm hallucinating or what exactly, "oh you are an asshole I totally agree with that, bro." Adrian says as he puts a hand on Damien's shoulder, "no wait, I'm serious, I'm so sorry Layla, I know you didn't deserve it, I'm sorry." He says looking away, I let out a breath as Adrian's hand tightens on my waist, "I don't know if I can just get over it, Damien." I say honestly maybe for the first time in my life.

Ok, that was an overstatement but yeah, "I understand, I just hope you do—and I love that girl, I really do." He says and I nod, he loves the girl he cheated on me with, have I been a game all along? "Layla." His voice pulls me out of my thoughts, "I'm sorry." He says and walks away when none of us reply to his last sentence, Adrian stiffens as he leans down, "I'm proud of you." He whispers, and my heart beats painfully in my chest "for what?" I ask staring up at him, "for putting yourself first, and not just forgiving him right away, he doesn't deserve it, Layla." He says and I smile, as a warm sensation spreads through my veins.

✿ ✿ ✿

Eventually, after the party is over, and all the babbling shut down, Adrian said that we were going somewhere else, I walk down the street with him, it's dark and quiet, almost scary, he stiffens and pauses, his hand tightening around mine.

"Boss." A voice interrupts and Ezekiel comes into view, he's placing an EarPod in his ear and giving the other one to Adrian, "we have a problem." He states flat-out and Adrian raises a brow, when he notices me he Starts talking in another language which I assume is Russian "Итальянцы здесь, я получил сообщение от Лучано, что они планируют кое-что сегодня вечером." I don't understand a thing but I feel the fear crawling up my skin at this talk, Adrian pulls me close and leans down, "stay with me, okay?" He says, his voice softening at the end, I can't do anything but nod, I've never been more confused and scared in my life, that's the last thought that I think of before gunshot sound ripples through the air.

Yes I know it's confusing even Layla is confused but just hold on.

A vote is really appreciated 🤭