23.

Chapter twenty three | Adrian
I wake up to the sound of a scream, and it takes a second for me to realize who it belongs to, Layla, I get up and sprint towards the door, my mind crowded with thousand thoughts, as I arrive in front of her room, the door is locked, fuck fuck.

"Layla!" I yell, my fists knocking on the door, her sobs are the only response I get, and my heart clenches, fuck, she's hurt, "Layla, please open up." I say gentler this time, I hear her steps closer, and when the door finally opens my heart drops.

Her face looks defeated and tears are streaming down her cheeks, I don't think twice before I pull her to me, her hand fists my shirt as she sobs, I pull her tighter, my heart breaking with every sob coming out of her mouth.

"Hey hey." I say softly, cupping her face in my hand, she looks up at me, her eyes so big and full of sadness, "what happened?" I ask trying to make my tone as soft as I can, "h-he was right here." She whispers, my hand tightening around her shoulder, "who, Layla?" I ask as sickening possibilities start crawling their way through my mind.

She shrugs again, as her body starts shaking, "I—I don't know." She whispers, more tears cascading down her cheeks and I wipe them away, "what did he do?" I ask, the words coming out edger than I intended but I can't help it, she shakes her head, and I let out a breath, "nothing." She says and I lay down with her on the bed trying to make sense of what she's saying.

I scan her from head to toe, making sure she's really fine, "can you tell me what you remember?" I ask, she swallows hard, her throat bobbing up and down as she tries to talk, I give her a reassuring squeeze,

"He was—masked." She says and I nod, not pressing for more even though I need to, I press my lips to her temple as I feel her breath shuddering on my neck, I pull back to find her eyes right on my lips, that immediately part.

One minute Layla is staring at me, the next her lips crash on mine, in one single shove, a groan rises up my throat as my hand comes up to her neck pulling her closer, I devour her mouth like I'm a starving man and she's my last meal, I bite down on her lip, a moan slips out of her, fuck, Jesus Christ I can feel myself losing control.

We are both edging toward something dangerous, and I don't know how to stop.

Because all I can think about are her lips – the way they part when she says my name; her eyes – the way they darken when she stares up at me. Her smooth neck – the way I wanted to bite her soft flesh and leave my marks there. Her hands... the way I wondered how they'd feel around my cock. Her long legs, the way they'd wrap around my waist, She was made for me.

I wanted her more than I had ever wanted anything in my life, and I'd get on my knees in front of the whole world for her if it meant I'd see that smile on her face.

I never had a weakness throughout my whole life, everyone knew that, that was until Layla came into my life, she changed it upside down the moment those big brown eyes captured mine.

I had never felt that possessiveness towards anyone before, I wanted to keep her from the whole world, she was too good for them anyway, and I knew she was too good for me too, but she'd never be anyone's else, she's mine.

We both pull back at some point, our heavy breaths loud and clear, both of us panting, "Adrian." She whispers, her voice throaty and filled with so many emotions, and it does something to me, I can't quite understand it, but you could say that I'm addicted to the way she says my name.

my finger caresses her neck, feeling the pulse under my touch, "did I hurt you?" She asks pulling me away from my thoughts, my brows furrow, "your lips." She says, still staring at me, as my eyes travel all over her face, her perfect lips, and red cheeks, and I'm so so fucking lost, I don't even remember what she said, her finger comes up brushing my lower lip as I see a hint of blood on it, oh so that's what she means.

"You didn't," I say as I lower my face, my lips meeting the flesh on her neck, she sucks in a breath and her hands come up in my hair, tugging hard on it, her pleasure moans might as well be the best thing I've ever heard in my life.

"Being with you is anything but painful, Layla," I whisper, the words slipping away before I can stop them, her body stills for a moment as if she's surprised by what I just said, hell, I'm surprised myself.

"But—I thought you hated me." She says and my brows furrow before realization dooms over me, "I hated that I couldn't have you." I say honestly and her face lightens up, shining with...relief, "did you really believe that I hated you? After all of this I mean?" I ask confused.

She swallows hard, then runs a hand through her hair, she does that a lot when she's nervous, "I thought it was just to make Damien mad." She says and my chest clenches, "you're not some toy that we play with." I reply instantly.

The way Layla believes that people see her that way pains me, and so does the way she thinks of herself, so low as if she isn't worth a thing.

She lets out a deep breath, and we stay like that for a moment, silence taking over, but it's not an uncomfortable one, it's just—a moment of peace, nothing with her is ever uncomfortable, I could stay here staring at her and I wouldn't feel even a bit bored.

"I'm scared." She says so softly I think I hallucinated it, I look up again, and she's biting on her lower lip as if she's stopping herself from crying, fuck, I suck at comforting people, "would staying with me make it better?" I ask them cursing myself for the way I worded this, "I mean—stay with me while you're sleeping, but, god not like sleep together—just—" I say then groan, I'm so nervous I keep stuttering, she grins, fuck me.

"I'll just be right there, if that'll make you feel safer I mean, no one would come near you while I'm with you, I promise," I say brushing away a strand of her hair, she clears her throat and nods, her cheeks turning crimson as a warm feeling spreads through my body at the thought of her staying with me.

✿ ✿ ✿

She's sleeping,
Her skin is soft, and her face looks peaceful, like an Angel, she seems too pure, too sweet for this world, I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket as I slowly get up, walking towards the window, when I see who dialed, surprise floods through my veins.

Earlier today after we had breakfast and everything was fine, we checked up the cameras, and although I didn't want to tell Layla, no one came in her room, the hallways show no trace of a person all night, and the gates around the house are full of guards and none of them saw anyone.

It was a nightmare, but telling her that will just scare her more, and if we're being honest, I want her to stay with me, "yes?" I ask, "Hi Adrian, I'm Melissa." She says and I roll my eyes, I already know that she's Damien's girlfriend but I keep it to myself, "did something happen?" I ask, weirded out by this whole call.

"Yes, p-please I need your help."

A vote is really appreciated