17.

Chapter seventeen | Layla
So We've been "fake dating" for five days, and honestly, it doesn't feel like a huge change, it's just that—we're constantly face to face 24/7, which isn't that big of a deal to me, also, surprise it's my goddamn birthday, and I got my period who's been on a vacation for over five months.

But guess what? My luck decided that it'd be a good idea if it surprised me on my birthday, I groan into the pillow, my lower stomach twisting in pain, as my phone ring startles me, I grab it, internally wishing that it's just my brother because I genuinely have no energy to talk, I drop my head back when I see the name flashing in front of me, ugh....it's not who I expected but I pick it up anyway.

"Hello?" I ask when a few beats pass but no voice comes in, "hi? Umm, it's me, Damien." He stupidly says, "really? I already have your number Damien, I know who this is." I reply, impatient, "uh yeah, yeah you're right." He says, I stay quiet for a moment, waiting for him to talk, "are you gonna say anything? Or should I end this?" I ask, and he clears his throat, "you're—different." He says I roll my eyes at this dramatic statement, "no I'm not, and can you get to the point?" I ask again, my voice picking up anger I'm sure as hell these are the hormones but I don't care enough to apologize.

"Happy birthday, Layla, I want to see you tonight, because umm...I have a gift, and—also will I stay uninvited to the gatherings?" He says, his tone—soft? What the hell now, "no and yes." I say not bothering to clarify further, "what?" He asks and I groan, frustrated with this, it was a wrong decision to pick up the call, "no I'm not going to meet you tonight, and yes you'll stay uninvited." I reply.

He takes a few moments to reply, "please Layla I-" he starts but then someone interrupts him, "I'm coming!" He yells to someone, "Layla." He says again, "yes?" I answer, frustration boiling through my blood, he sighs "fine, I'll send the gift with Adrian." He says and my lips twitch, "okay, anything else?" I ask, "no-" the moment he says the words, my finger presses the end button, I let out a breath and drop the phone beside me, and Out of nowhere, the ache in my stomach escalates into blinding pain. It rips through me like a blade cutting flesh and forces a small gasp out of me.

A knock on the door interrupts my suffering but it goes unanswered because there is no way I can even function with anyone right now, "Layla?" The familiar voice pulls me out of my thoughts and I can hear my heart thudding in my ears, Adrian, Jesus Christ, he doesn't have to see me in this fucking situation, "I'm fine." I reply when he keeps knocking.

"I'm coming in, Layla." He says, and fortunately or unfortunately, I don't have enough time to think of a convincing lie to keep him out, and when he walks towards me I can't quite puzzle the expression on his face, I mean, I'm sure as hell I look like a ball that's clutched together, and this sentence absolutely doesn't make any sense but who cares?

I feel him dropping on the mattress and I roll over like a burrito with the blanket wrapped around me, catching a glimpse of his body until his face finally comes into view, "you okay?" He asks, his brows furrowed, another spike of pain causes tears to form in my eyes as I clutch my stomach, "no." I reply, my voice barely a whisper, he leans down and kisses my temple, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ears, "what happened?" He asks, concern catching up in his voice.

"My period happened." I reply through a whimpered pain, his face dawns in realization as he slowly caresses my shoulder, his expression softening further, "let me-" he says softly removing the blanket from around me and I almost cry from the loss, but his warm touch replaces it, his thumb brushes right above my abdomen, the soft touch causing goosebumps to spread all over my belly but I ignore them.

Trying to distract myself from the pain, "it's okay." He continues the massages and after a beat, I feel the pain dropping a little, it's not that much but it's noticeable, however, Adrian doesn't stop, he continues caressing his hand over my lower stomach, I look up at him but I find him already staring at me, "do you feel any better?" He asks, I nod, as I feel my eyes getting droopy, "wait." He says pulling my attention back, he opens the drawer and passes me an ibuprofen pill, "take this, it'll help with the cramps." He says as he passes me a bottle of water, I slowly gulp them down as I feel the darkness taking me away.

✿ ✿ ✿

"Reina?" I ask when I hear someone in the kitchen, but surprisingly, it's not her, "it's me, love." His voice  catches my attention as I turn around, my pulse growing faster, Adrian is giving me his back as he cuts something, the hard muscles pocking through the shirt, he turns around, "are you feeling better now?" He asks, his brows furrowing, "yeah, much better." I reply, he points behind him, "I told Reina to buy you a heating pad, I know that it helps—if you're still in pain." He says and my brows shoot up.

"Where did you learn all this?" I ask as I sit down, he raises his brows but takes his time as he grabs something from the drawer, my eyes lighten when I realize what they are, he drops a bag of Maltesers in front of me, "they were yours?" I ask, my eyes widening as I feel heat creeping up my neck, he smiles a little, and it's barely noticeable, but it's still here, "they were, and to your question—it's just common knowledge? Anyone who studied proper science in fifth grade knows this." He states flat-out.

A laugh bursts out of me and he raises his brows, amusement glistening in his eyes, "I guess your brother didn't." I mutter under my breath, he nods as his smile widens and a feel of pride jostles through my skin, "speaking of my brother." He says as he leans over the counter, I sigh, "he brought you a—gift." Adrian says, his face blank as points a finger, "give me a sec." He says as he jogs outside.

Adrian comes inside again, holding a box, as he drops it in front of me, his lips twitching as if he's stopping himself from smiling, "what?" I ask, unsure if I want to open it, "open it, darling." He says and I let out a breath, embracing myself, and the moment I see what's inside I almost slam the box shut again, Damien got me a—yellow dress, a fucking yellow dress, and just for your knowledge I've been complaining about how much I hate the color ALL THE TIME.

"Perfect." Adrian mutters and I glare at him, he smiles down at me, his eyes seeing straight through me, and for a moment I wonder if he can see the ugly truths behind, "absolutely." I agree, sarcasm heavy in my tone, "happy birthday, Layla." He suddenly says, pulling my attention to him, I smile, "thanks." I reply opening the chocolate packet.

"I got something for you." He says and my eyes snap back up, "you did?" I ask, he nods slowly, "I did." He replies, as he puts a hand in his pocket then slowly places something in my hand, it's a small box, it's a jewelry box, holy shit, I open it and suck in a breath, the moment I see it, it's so beautiful, it's a silver necklace with little diamonds all over the name on it, or more specifically the word on it, it's one word written in italic,

INFLAME

I look up at him, a smile forming on my face, "why inflame?" I ask, curiosity getting the best of me, he smiles a little "because it means to light something up by flames." He says, his voice dropping as he leans closer, "and that's exactly what happens every time I see you, Layla, my heart lights up with fucking flames." He says and my lips part, as I stare at him, my eyes hovering over his lips then flickering up again, "so it's technically for you?" I ask playfully raising my brow, he smiles a little as he brushes a strand of my hair, "maybe." He says as his lips part "fuck." He whispers, his voice breathless and his expression...pained, "we can't." I say stumbling backward, my heart pounding in my chest.

See? Layla is a strong woman, because me personally? I would have folded right here.

A vote is really appreciated 🤭