31.

Chapter thirty one | Adrian
Glass shatters and falls down the floor,
A pained breath escapes me as I look down at my hands, my knuckles red with blood, goddamn it, I punch what's left of the mirror and the rest of the glass follows the other's fate.

"You're losing control." Ezekiel's voice appears as a bitter laugh spills out of me "I thought we were already over that." I mutter as I walk towards the door, the fucker actually blocks my path, "it's been a month, Do you think she'd like the state you're in?" He asks, his eyes shooting daggers at me.

My mouth turned into a snarl but I held back my anger, "Get out of my way." I said in a low voice feeling myself on the verge of losing control, "I won't." He says and I punch him, blood trickles from his mouth but he doesn't fight back, I wait, and wait.

"Hit me." I say, as anger and rage surge through me, "fucking do it!" I scream, he doesn't flinch, just continues staring at me, "I won't." He says and I swallow hard, my throat bobbing at the motion,

Ezekiel and I were more than just a guy and his bodyguard, He'd been a brother I wished I got instead of my piece of shit brother, I take a step back and walk towards the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of scotch, and dropping down before I do something I'll regret.

"You need to distract yourself." He says and my eyes shoot up as the strong taste of alcohol hits the back of my throat, "don't you think I tried? I fucking can't, she's everywhere, every day I wake up with the hope that I'll finally see those beautiful big eyes looking back at me, only for that hope to be crushed and it keeps lessening every goddam day." The words slip out of my mouth with a sharp breath.

His jaw clenches and he takes his time forming an answer, it's fucking weird, this is a situation I've never been put in, and neither has him, "you're becoming worse than you were before Layla came into your life." He says quietly and I gulp down what's left of the scotch.

"I fucking know," I say and my heart clenches, as memories of her flash through my mind, I've never felt this happy in my life and I know this isn't real but at least I have you for now, my hand turns into a fist and Ezekiel senses the change.

"I have some updates." He says and that pulls my attention to him, two weeks after the incident, after some digging it became clear that the fucking Italians were behind this, they shot the car but they didn't succeed in shooting anyone inside it except Ezekiel, and eventually, it became obvious that there's a traitor among us.

Among my goddamn men, they've been with me for god knows how long, but money can change loyalty, can't it? And the person behind this will wish I could kill him so he doesn't get what I have planned for him, he'll fucking suffer for taking away Layla, My Layla.

"We'll be late for Melissa." He mutters and I nod, raising a brow, I have a feeling something is growing between the two of them but I push it away, "Did Nash call you?" He asks when he notices my glare, "no, but Octavia did." I mutter and grab my phone.

✿ ✿ ✿

"Fuck." Nash says, and I run a hand through my hair, "Are you sure?" I ask when he drops his phone, "Octavia said she still needs to make sure of it," He whispers, his voice strained as he stares at his sister laying on the bed motionlessly, this is like the worst fucking timing.

"She'd have been so happy." Melissa mutters, her voice cracking, and I grit my teeth, people talk about her as if she's dead now, "she desperately wanted Octavia to  get pregnant, she said she'd be the best aunt ever." Nash says, a sad smile spreading on his face, "she will be." I say, and he nods, not meeting my eyes,

Melissa excuses herself and leaves, I catch a glimpse of her and Ezekiel bickering in the hallway, I'm actually a step away from killing him, eventually Nash follows them outside and my chest heaves with harsh breaths the longer I stare at her.

"Come back to me, darling," I whisper, my fingertips brushing her hair as I stare at her, she's paler and thinner than before, but the fucking doctor says it's normal for her state, I kiss her temple and my heart swells with pain.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper, clutching her hand in mine, I should've been more careful, I should've fucking protected her, I failed her, "Adrian." A soft whisper catches my attention but it's not the one I need to hear,

"What?" I ask Melissa and push her hand off my shoulder, she takes a step back, "Damien.." she starts but then stops when she sees whatever expression on my face, "where the fuck is he?" I ask, and she motions outside, I walk past her ignoring the way she flinches when my skin brushes hers, I almost feel guilty, almost.

When I get outside, sure enough, the fucker is in front of my face, I stride towards him and he stiffens, "how is Layla?" He asks and in a second Nash lunges at him, his fists clenched and face twisted with anger, I hold him back, "don't you fucking dare speak of her, as if you care!" He shouts and some eyes turn to us, he's gathering their attention and it's the last thing we need to do,

"Not here," I say, my voice low and his eyes turn to me, realization filling them as he nods and walks away, out of the place, as if he doesn't trust himself, we all turn around and walk away without another word, except for the string of curses on my tongue that are threatening to spill because of the two love birds beside me, I glare at Ezekiel and he takes a step away from Melissa, good, he's fucking aware of what he's doing then.

✿ ✿ ✿

"I need to talk to you, alone," Damien mutters and I glare at him, his jaw clenches but he doesn't say anything, a knock on the door distracts us both, I motion at Reina, the maid, to open it, Octavia appears on the other side, her face flushed with tears, I straighten.

"What's wrong?" I and Nash ask at the same time, but I think we both already know, "it's true, I'm pregnant." She whispers and a breath leaves my body, she looks down at Nash as she drops beside him, and he immediately pulls her to him, and a small smile spreads on his face "it's okay." He whispers to her and rubs her back.

"You didn't want a baby," she says what's already on all our minds, he made it clear years ago that having a kid was the last thing on his mind, he didn't want to bring a child into this life right now, the media surrounding him and never having an ounce of privacy due to his work.

"It's okay sweetheart I promise." Nash says again, his voice softer, she snuggles closer to him and he tightens his hand around her shoulder, "alright, we need to talk." Damien's voice awakens my earlier anger as my eyes snap to his.

"Why do you all act as if I was behind this? As if I'm your goddamn enemy?" He yells and Melissa's wide eyes snap to me, and I know exactly why, we've been suspecting Damien to be the one who betrayed us, "you can be." I say and his face twists in pain

As if I just stabbed him, "what the fuck?" He asks, then a bitter laugh slips out again, "tell me a good reason to believe that you're not the one who's working with the Italians." I snap, even as my chest clenches and pain shoots through my veins.

"I'm your brother." He says, his voice strained, Jesus Christ, "as if that ever stopped you from ruining our lives?" I say and he clears his throat, lowering his eyes, "yes alright, but I'd never fucking hurt you, not this way, I'd never send people who are capable of killing you." He says, choking on his breath, and it might be a stupid decision anyway but I fucking believe him.

A vote is really appreciated