21.

Chapter twenty one | Layla
"You seem fine, I don't understand why we're here." I mutter under my breath, wanting to slap him for interrupting me from sleeping, and Damien's eyes widen, Adrian chuckles under his breath, and Damien glares at him as he tries to hold his laugh, "oh hi!" A voice joins and we both turn around, seeing a beautiful blonde striding in.

She's Damien's girlfriend, Melissa, and I'm surprised how someone so sweet like her is gonna put up with him, but well I've been there so we'll see, ever so suddenly I feel Adrian's hand caressing my thigh, "I'm sorry I was out all day I just came back!" She smiles at us, a dimple appearing on her cheek, and my eyes travel over her body, she's wearing a yellow dress that molds perfectly against her curves.

I can't help but compare us, while she's short, I'm tall, she's curvy, I'm skinny, she's blonde, I'm brunette, my heartbeats pick up and sweat gathers on my forehead, as if he can sense it, I feel his breath on my neck as he whispers, "I'm right here." reminding me, pulling me away from my distractive thoughts and the words themselves bring a different type of comfort to me, safe, it feels safe here.

"So? What do you want to talk about?" Adrian asks, his voice louder, and rougher than it was just a minute ago, "uhh—so does she know?" Damien scratches his neck and motions at me, my brows dip as I turn to Adrian, "yes." He says and my brows hit my hairline, what the fuck do I know? "She knows enough." He adds confusing me more.

Damien clears his throat as he pulls Melissa tighter, she rests her head on his neck and smiles softly, "the people who attacked you earlier..." he says and my pulse picks up, "they sent me something the same day." He says and scrolls through his phone then places it in Adrian's hand, it's an unknown number, I lean closer to get a better look.

Stop running away or it won't be pretty next time.

For God's sake, fear locks my muscles and crowds my mind, this shit happened before with Octavia, my brother's wife, but it was a stalker, not the fucking mafia, Adrian faces me, His eyes soften before they lighten up and his hand tightens around my thigh, warmth pools through my belly but I ignore that.

"They want us." Damien says as he drops back on the couch, my brows knot together and I look at Adrian, waiting for an explanation, he leans in and brushes a strand of my hair, "I'll tell you everything tomorrow, when you're awake, not like this." He says and I narrow my eyes, then nod, he has a point, I'm sure I'll forget anything he'll say right now so it's better tomorrow, "we need to talk about what we'll do." Adrian says and he nods.

"Someone is spying on us." Damien says and Adrian raises a brow, "you're a bit slow, bro, it's fucking obvious." He says and Damien glares, it's not intimidating like his brother, but it's still scary, Adrian seems amused as he leans back in the seat, his big hand still on my thigh, Damien runs a hand through his hair and speaks "you have to make her tough a little, she won't survive a thing, trust me I know her." He says raising a brow and I grit my teeth.

I'm sick of people thinking that I'm fragile and can't handle their shit, Adrian doesn't say anything for a moment but he changes his posture from sitting in that relaxed position to leaning forward, spreading his knees and planting his elbows on them. His dark eyes are hard and intense, and The tip of his tongue is poking at the inside of his cheek, Adrian is giving him a death glare, and it's the hottest thing I've ever witnessed in my life,  focus, Layla.

"My girl can handle anything just fine, maybe you just don't know her after all, bro." He says cocking his head and a smirk tugs at the corner of his mouth, my mind ignores everything he just said and just focuses on one thing, My girl, Adrian just called me his girl, it's a lie, I'm not really his and he's not mine, it's wrong—but it sounded so right from his mouth, I just have to keep reminding myself.