20.

Chapter twenty | Layla
"I miss going to the shelter." I mumble, pulling my hair up in a ponytail, it's been a week since the incident happened, and the vibe here, hasn't been—friendly, and I feel like today is one of those days, the ones where I just want to be alone, or don't talk to anyone, well but I also want to go outside, I feel like I'm kidnapped, oh and I'm mad at Adrian, so many emotions all at once, why am I surprised?

"You can't go right now." He says and i snarl "I know goddamn it." I say, anger bubbling through my veins, "Layla." He says cocking his head and I turn away, "I don't understand what's happening, who were these people that you want to Lock me up for? You don't want to say anything Adrian, at least tell me why I'm gonna be stuck here!" I yell raising my hands in the air and he lowers his glasses.

Yes, glasses, very distracting ones too, but I'm too mad to focus on his attractiveness right now, he waits for a beat before he starts talking, he always does that, as if he's searching for the right words, "they're dangerous people Layla, and I can't go into details." He says and I drop down again, "why?" I ask raising a brow, "because that's for your safety," he says and I roll my eyes.

I think he's been repeating this sentence all day, and it's getting frustrating, but a part of me actually doesn't want to know who they are, or what Adrian did that day, I just want to stay like this, with the Adrian I knew for years, fuck it, I can't even understand my own feelings, "what do you want to do outside other than going to the shelter?" He asks looking at me, as he tucks the book beside him.

I groan, I should've seen this coming, I really should, at least I could've prepared myself for a convincing answer but I genuinely have no idea where I want to go, I just want to breathe some new air, other than this, I mean sure Adrian's house is beautiful and big but he's not even here most of the time, he eats breakfast with me, or well feed me, then he stays in his office most of the day, and then gets out at the time of dinner and lunch.

Other than that, I'm all alone, Ezekiel sometimes joins me but I want to see people, Sarah calls me often, god I really missed the shelter, and—I missed going out, maybe going to the cinema or shopping, "I want to go shopping." I blurt out and Adrian raises a brow, then runs a hand through his hair, messing it up as he speaks, "when?" He asks and my brows hit my hairline, I didn't think he'd actually approve of it, "today?" I say but it comes out as a question.

He nods and rubs his jaw, "fine, tonight we'll go," he says and a smile spreads on my face, I have no fucking idea how he agreed since I've been saying the same shit for days but I don't care, all what matters is that I'm going there tonight, "did you eat what I left you?" He asks and I swallow the sudden knot in my throat, his question definitely caught me off guard.

"Yes." I lie, he runs his tongue across his teeth but doesn't protest however he just stands up and comes down beside me, his warm presence spreading tingles over my body, "I have a feeling that you're lying to me." He says, and for a beat, I think his tone is sarcastic, I'm not sure if it's not though, I stay silent, and his brows furrow as he dips his hand in his pockets and retrieves a packet of chocolate, maltesers.

He hands them to me and I raise a playful brow, "do you casually carry Maltesers with you?" I ask, he tilts his head a little, "no." He says then adds "I carry them for you." He says and I feel  heat creeping up my neck as I smile more, a silent moment passes before Adrian breaks it, "are you okay?" He asks and my eyes meet his, his gaze softens and I swallow hard, taken aback by the question and not knowing how to answer it.

"I-it's fine." I stutter for absolutely no reason, he brushes a strand of my hair away and I suck in a breath, there's something about this that makes my heart jumps every time he does it, "are you?" He asks again and I swallow, "yeah." I reply my voice coming out breathless, "you're a bad liar Layla, a very bad one." He mutters and I smile awkwardly, not liking where this conversation is heading, As if he can sense it, he doesn't bring it up again and I'm grateful for that.

✿ ✿ ✿

"Oh my god! Look how beautiful this one is!" I hold up the pink heels, they're the most beautiful thing I've seen all day, Adrian smiles at me and I grin, I sigh staring at the three choices in front of me, "I don't know which one to choose." I mumble looking up at him, I scrunch my nose and think for a moment, the black heels will match everything, but I already have a pair that looks like those—but they're beautiful.'

The pink heels are new, I've never worn this color before, yet they captured my attention immediately, but—the white ones are as gorgeous as the rest of them, I groan and rub a hand across my face, "help me." I mutter and his smile widens, the sight so beautiful it takes my breath away, "I already told you." He says and I roll my eyes, "no I'm not doing that." I say again and he raises a brow.

He's been repeating the same sentence over and over again, he wants to buy all of them, for God's sake, "I told you I want to buy them for myself, it feels good." I say, he won't understand, working hard and then getting the money to treat yourself feels better than someone spending their money on me, but what can I say? Rich people and their shit, a sound pops in my head, you are rich Layla, I shut it out.

"You can do that when you're not with me, but you're not paying while I'm right here, whether you like it or not." He says, the sunlight reflecting on his face, making the black strands of his hair shine under the light, the sharpness of his features stands out, oh god I need to stop distracting myself, "but-" I start to protest, "no buts." He says and I sigh, knowing that it's a lost case.

He pulls out his wallet and slides a black credit card on the counter, I take a step closer to him, his eyes find mine, and I hold my breath for a moment, the intensity of his gaze spreading warm tingles across my belly, then he brushes a strand of my hair away, "are you happy now?" He raises a brow, amusement filling his expression, excitement suddenly bubbles through me and I grin, "so much." I say and a smile spreads on his face, it's barely noticeable but it's here.

"We're not leaving right now, right??" I ask suddenly, the thought breaking my heart, I feel like it's been so long since I felt this joy while being outside, "we'll leave when you feel like it, Layla." He says and I smile again, we eventually leave the shop with three pairs of heels, god knows how much these cost.

"I'm hungry." I mumble, and for a beat, I don't think he heard me, but he proves me wrong when he turns in my direction and smiles a little, "what do you want to eat?" He asks and I don't wait to think, I already know what I want, I've been craving it since forever, "a Cinnamon roll." I say and he nods, "okay then." He says and I smile.

Of course, Adrian did true to his word and brought his guards with us all the way, but only one of them is in my sight, I'm sure the others are somewhere else, I'm still worried about all of this, but I've seen a lot in my life and I know for sure that what happened isn't something I'd want to know about, so I think I'll live in denial for a while now.

✿ ✿ ✿

"That was the best night ever," I mumble, after we ate the Cinnabon and got something to drink, tiredness started having its way with me, so Adrian decided that we'd call it a night, and here we are, in his car, the driver is whispering something to him but I don't make out what it is, I feel Adrian's hand on my thigh and my eyes snap open, I don't know how a single movement can cause so much to a person.

He brushes his thumb across it, his eyes flicking up to mine, "I want to sleep." I whisper, my eyes droopy, I blink trying to keep them open as I rest my head on his shoulder, his movement pause for a moment before he continues what he was doing,
Adrian leans down and kisses my temple, I look up after he pulls away, his lips slightly parted, and I do something that surprises us both, I brush my lips across his cheek, feeling his hot breath on my neck, "Layla." He whispers, his voice throaty and —desperate, but—his phone ringing startles us both.

He closes his eyes for a moment as if he's trying to calm himself, his brows hit his hairline when he sees whoever is dialing, "you better be fucking dying," he answers and I raise my brows, "what do you want, Damien?" He asks and my muscles clench, I think Adrian senses it too as he caresses my cheek, "uh fuck." Adrian mutters under his breath and I frown.

A vote is really appreciated 🤟🏻