28.

I suggest checking the trigger warnings for this chapter <3
Chapter twenty eight | Layla
"Layla?" Ezekiel asks, confusion clear on his face as he rolls the window down and gets out of the car, "what happened? Where's Adrian?" He asks then his eyes widen when he notices my eyes.

They're probably red and puffy from crying, "somewhere inside." I mutter, "what happened?" He asks and I let out a breath turning away, some thoughts have been really crowding my mind for the past minutes, Adrian should owe me no explanation, we're supposedly fake dating, but it still feels like humiliation.

That's the whole point of fake dating, to appear that we're in a relationship in front of people, they'll probably think I'm just a weak girl beside him, he can go around and fuck with other women and I wouldn't say anything to him, stop thinking about what people think.

"Can we just—talk later? I need to go home." I whisper, and he runs a hand through his hair, "he'll kill me but fuck it I ain't leaving you like that, come on." He says and I smile letting out a deep breath.

Tears forming in my eyes, "thank you." I whisper, grateful for having him, he forces a smile and walks over to the car seat and I drop down in the other, Adrian probably knows that we're leaving I'm sure he has a tracker somewhere here, it won't take him long to find us, but at least I'll have some time to be alone until that happens.

"Are you not going to tell me what happened?" Ezekiel asks when he hops off the road, I let out a shaky breath and speak "he kind of let another woman throw herself at him, whispering in his goddamn ear." I say and his brows shoot up, "describe what she looked like." He says immediately and my brows furrow, confused by his question as I try to recall her face.

"She was a blonde—she was tall too." I say letting out a frustrated breath when I don't remember her features, "I think I know who you're talking about." He says, his voice lowering and I turn around as he parks in an empty street, he grabs his phone scrolling down then places it in my hand, it's a picture of her, "who is she?" I ask, my heart pounding in my chest, "she's Adrian's ex-girlfriend." He says.

✿ ✿ ✿

"You're not running away again." He says sternly, gritting his teeth as he takes a step towards me, he took longer than expected to come home, but it still wasn't enough time for me to leave without him stopping me, "why?" I ask and he seems taken aback.

"Why what?" He asks, his chest heaving with faster rises, "why do you care if I leave?" I ask and he raises his brows before letting out a laugh, "you didn't even give me a chance to explain anything, Layla." He says and my chin trembles "explain what, Adrian?" I ask as I drop down on the mattress.

"You need to listen to me and stop believing whatever the hell is in your mind." He says and anger bubbles through my veins "she's your ex-girlfriend." I state and surprise flashes across his face for a brief second before it's all gone away, "Ezekiel told you, why am I not surprised." He says and I continue staring at him, waiting for an explanation.

"Yes she's my ex-girlfriend, but she's an ex for a goddamn reason and we won't get into that until I explain this whole situation first." He says and my muscles tense, not sure If I'm ready to hear whatever he has to say but I don't protest.

"I know this won't sound convincing but I'm sure you'll understand it, let's say—Grace knows a lot about my past Layla, more than I've ever told anyone," he says and my chest tightens, apparently her name is Grace, and what the hell does he mean by that?

"She knows my weaknesses." He states, a snarl forming on his face, he lets out a breath and runs a hand in his hair, as if he's struggling to get his words out, but I wait for him, I wait for him because I want to cling to whatever his reasoning is.