- 15 -

The king came back to the castle after a difficult journey to the outskirts of Choi. He had to negotiate between several fractions of locals who were arguing about what felt like nonsense. He was tired after so many days on a horse, in the rain.

As he came into the main hall, servants came running to take his soaking wet and dirty clothing. He saw the back of a familiar head of hair in the library. As he entered the room, she heard him and quickly stood up.

«Your majesty,» she curtsied.

«Your highness,» he bowed back. «You look better.»

«I feel better, your majesty.»

«Good,» he said, looking at how her black eye no longer was swollen. The color was no longer black, more like green, blue and red. «How do your ribs feel?»

«Much better, thank you.»

«I'm glad.»

«How was your trip, your majesty?»

«Wet,» he said, glancing down at his soaking-wet pants and boots. He was making a mess on the floor for the servants to clean up. «And difficult.»

«Did you resolve your issues?»

«No, not really,» he said, eyeing her. «Please don't ask about it.»

«I won't, your majesty. I will not meddle in Choi's business, I know I am an outsider.»

The king made a grimace, and her eyes narrowed.

«I trust it's not because... I'm a woman that you won't discuss it with me?»

«I said no such thing.»

«Indeed, your majesty.» She let it go, but what she thought he couldn't be certain of. «Because everyone needs to have someone to talk to, even the king. Maybe you have a significant other, but if not, your brothers I'm sure are good confidants.»

The king just nodded. Truthfully he never included his brothers in the dark thoughts that came with being the king. He tried to shield them. This task was given to him, and he had to handle it. The cost was high, but he would never complain. The thought of having someone to talk to, about everything, was... Honestly, he couldn't even imagine it.

«Thank you for getting those new books for the library,» she said, changing the subject to make it easier for him.

A servant came with a hot drink for the king, and he thanked her.

«Those books were for you, princess. Did you enjoy them?»

«For me? Really? Yes, I did enjoy them very much. Thank you, your majesty.»

«It's unusual to see a woman read.»

«Yes, possibly so, your majesty, but I don't think knowledge is dangerous to anyone, woman or man, rich or poor.»

«I agree,» he nodded. «I keep working on getting the children of Choi better education. Too many of the less fortunate families keep their children home, to help out, but I recently made the whole nine years mandatory for all children.»

«That's good. How about what they need for school?»

«I'm planning on making all books free of charge.»

«That's wonderful! It will be so valuable to Choi to have so many educated children grow up. It'll be a bright future for Choi then.»

«I hope so. If you would excuse me, your highness, I should go change into something less... wet.»

«Indeed, your majesty.» She even had a little smile in the corner of her mouth as she left her. She heard the humor, and couldn't hide that she found it funny. She was still as proper and courteous as any royal should be.

Ivy and Hyunjin spent a lot of time together. They were back to eating breakfast together in the sunroom every morning. They often went for a walk in the royal gardens if the weather allowed it. Sometimes they took the carriage out for a ride. Ivy loved getting to know Choi. They didn't go far, though. And Ivy hadn't ridden a horse yet, she wanted her body to completely heal before she tried that. But she had visited Gordo in the stable many times. She loved that horse.

Quite often Ivy and Hyunjin ended up spending their afternoons in the library. Ivy would read while Hyunjin would draw or paint. His painting of her was coming along just great. They spent hours like that, reading, talking, and painting, not paying attention to how the hours passed.

«Are neither of you coming for dinner?»

Ivy and Hyunjin both looked surprised at the king. He would usually send a servant to get them, but not tonight.

«My deepest apologies, your majesty,» Ivy said, quickly getting to her feet.

«It's my fault, my king,» Hyunjin said. «I completely forget about the time when I'm painting.»

«I know,» king Seonghwa said. «May I take a look?»

Hyunjin nodded, and Ivy saw the worry in his eyes. He looked at his older brother when he stepped around and took a look at what he was working on. It was so obvious to Ivy that Hyunjin wanted his brothers' acknowledgment. Ivy also looked at Seonghwa, hoping he understood how important this was to his youngest brother.

«So this is what you spend your time on,» he said, and Ivy saw Hyunjin's shoulders sink together.

«Incredible, isn't it?» Ivy said, coming over to them, and grabbing Hyunjin's arm. The prince looked at her with warm eyes. He understood what she was doing. But there was no honor in painting, he knew that's how the king felt. «Your talent is undeniable, my prince.»

«Thank you, princess,» Hyunjin said, squeezing her arm.

«Dinner?»

«Let's go,» he nodded.

The king followed them, not saying anything more. He heard her scolding him, but he didn't protest. It was probably good that Hyunjin had something to do. Being a prince wasn't the easiest role to be born into. He could be drinking and fucking around, but he wasn't. He was doing good with Ivy too. He made an effort. They might even be happy together. And she planned on letting him keep loving Felix. Just like that. Seonghwa didn't understand how anyone could agree to something like that. It was so old-fashioned, letting the man have a lover, while it would be completely frowned upon if the woman did the same. He himself would not allow any such thing from his future wife, and he certainly wouldn't do it himself. If he ever found someone who would be able to stand him.