- 19 -

The king and queen of Astoria looked at each other. This opportunity was huge. For Ivy and for Astoria. Yet, Ivy would have to decide for herself. And this was completely different from marrying Hyunjin. The responsibilities would be so much bigger.

Ivy's head was buzzing. So this was the consequence of her actions. She should have known. If she had just married Hyunjin, she would have been safe. She could have lived her life without worry. No one would ask too much of her. But this... He was the king. He would want an heir. That would require a sacrifice from her that she wasn't sure she could make. Still... She had given away her opportunity to live the life she wanted, a marriage with Hyunjin. It had been too good to be true, anyway. This was more like what she could expect from life, this was much more real. Yeah, now was when the test of her character started.

«Ivy,» her mother said, grabbing her hand. «What are you thinking?»

The worry in her voice wasn't lost on Ivy. She understood they expected her to refuse. She probably would have six months ago, before meeting Hyunjin. But life was different now. She had somehow matured.

«I'll do it,» she said, not looking at either of them.

«You'll do it?» her father said, hope growing in his voice. «Really?»

«Ivy, you should think about this a little,» her mother said.

«What is there to think about?! I will never want anyone. So when something like this... falls into my lap... How can I decline?»

«Are you sure you want to do this?»

«No,» she scoffed, before closing her eyes for a second. «But I'm an adult now. It's time for me to do the right thing. And Choi is a nice place. I'll be okay there.»

It was like she was comforting herself. Both the king and the queen heard it.

«Sweet Ivy,» her mother said. «I would suggest you actually talk to him... About everything.»

«No.»

«Yes. Tell him your story. See how you feel about this after telling him.»

Ivy swallowed.

«Fine. I'll talk to him.»

She found him by the fountain in the garden. He was staring into the water, not really present.

«Your majesty,» she said, stopping right next to him.

«Your highness,» he answered, turning towards her. «Already here? That's a no, then, I gather?»

«It's not a no. I just... I would like to talk to you.»

«Okay,» he said. «Should we walk?»

«Yes, that might help,» she agreed.

It took a minute before she was ready to speak. Seonghwa waited patiently.

«You might remember me telling you that the kind of marriage I wanted is one without any physical aspect.»

«I do remember that.»

«And how do you feel about that?»

«It does not work for me.»

She had asked a blunt question, she should have expected a blunt answer.

«Right. Okay, then I'm sorry, your majesty, I will not be able to accept your proposal.»

«Just like that?»

«Yes, just like that.»

«What if I said I just need an heir? Would you do that?»