- 27 -

He was just sitting on the edge of his bed in his tent in fresh, dry pajamas, not far from her tent, when he heard soft steps stopping right outside.

«Seonghwa?»

She was whispering so lowly in hopes of not waking him if he was already asleep.

«Ivy?» he said, quickly getting up. «Are you okay?» He opened the door to his tent and looked at her, worried.

«Yes, sorry,» she blushed. «Could I ask you a favor?»

«Yes, of course,» he said, bewildered.

«Can I come inside?» she asked, still very flushed.

«Of course, yes,» he said, thoroughly confused. He held the door open and she quickly came inside. She turned her back to him and tried to reach the buttons on her back.

«The nightgown is so wet and I can't seem to reach the buttons on my own, and I don't want to wake up Lillybet just for this, so I..»

«Let me help,» he said, hearing how nervous she was. «How do you want me to do it?»

She sighed, relieved that he was so considerate. He knew how difficult this was for her.

«Could you... open the buttons from the top and... I don't know, halfway down my back maybe?»

«Of course.»

«But please... Don't...» She trailed off, pushing so far beyond everything she had ever done before.

«Tell me, so I know what not to do.» His voice was warm and understanding.

«Don't touch my skin,» she whispered, her voice trembling.

«I'll do my very best not to touch your skin directly, yes. Are you ready?»

«Yeah.»

She was shaking as he carefully started with the top button. After a few, he felt braver, and she wasn't shaking so much anymore. It was dark, but his eyes had gotten quite used to it. He could see glimpses of the skin on her back. As he opened more buttons, the more he saw. She hadn't said he couldn't look, just that he shouldn't touch her skin. He was careful, but his eyes caressed what he saw. He saw dark red scars litter her back, all the way up towards her neck, probably all the way up into her scalp. Some scars looked thicker like they could be felt through her clothing, but most of them seemed to be flat. They could probably be felt if he had let his fingers run over them, but he knew that wasn't possible. She couldn't take it. It made him so sad.

He didn't realize he was crying until she quickly turned to look at him. He had probably sniffled.

«You're looking at me,» she said, looking angry.

«Yes.»

«It makes you cry.»

«It makes me sad.»

«I don't need your pity, Seonghwa.»

«That's not why I'm crying, sweet Ivy.»

«Then why?» she asked in a very dismissive tone. She would not believe him, no matter what.

«You are so beautiful, and I want to touch you. I want to feel your back, your skin.»

He could read her like an open book, she really didn't think he was telling the truth. She didn't trust him, she took it for pure curiosity.

«Fine,» she said, turning her back to him again. «Go ahead.»

«No, I'm sorry,» he openly cried. «I don't want to make you uncomfortable.»