- 17 -

«Is it true that if I brought Felix to Astoria, before all this.... I would have been able to marry him?»

«Yes.»

«Do you think your father would allow me to stay?»

«Yes, of course. He believes very strongly in love. My mother was a so-called commoner, he had to fight really hard to marry her. He has sworn love is the one thing he will always prioritize. That would go for you too.»

«Yeah, well.... It's too late for that now.»

Ivy watched him stare out the window of the carriage. His depression was easy to understand. She felt his pain. It helped hide her own. She was bringing him closer to his dream, yet he couldn't grasp onto it.

They still hadn't heard anything about Mingi and Felix, but Yunho was determined that was good news.

«Mingi would have told me if he couldn't do it. So I'm sure they are already on their way,» he insisted.

«I pray you are right,» Ivy whispered, literally folding her hands, sending a prayer and positive energy into the universe. It all meant the same, right?

«Bring me Felix,» the king asked the butler the same evening.

«Yes, your majesty,» the butler said and disappeared. He was soon back, but he came alone.

«What?» Seonghwa said with narrow eyes.

«It would seem we cannot find Felix, your majesty.»

«How long has he been gone?»

«I saw him myself yesterday. A broken heart, perhaps?» he suggested. «I'm sure he'll turn up soon. I'll let you know when we find him.»

Seonghwa knew better. He cursed and gritted his teeth. They had gone against his wishes, no doubt about that. He should have made sure to hold on to Felix before even talking to them, but it had been an impulse. He didn't want Hyunjin to make Choi look bad. They shouldn't treat a princess like that. Their marriage should be clean. No lovers.

He had to wait till the next morning before doing anything, they couldn't ride out in the dark like this. But as soon as the sun was up, so was the king. He took a team of guards, and the servants packed the supplies they needed. They were soon on their way.

As the royal carriage pulled up the castle, it didn't take long before the queen was running down the stairs towards them. Ivy fell into her mother's arms.

«Ivy, darling, how I've missed you! This castle is so quiet when you're not here.»

«I missed you too!»

There were warm hugs as the rest of Ivy's family soon came filing out to meet them. Hyunjin's heart broke a little as he saw how she was greeted by her family. It must have been hard for her to be away from this for so long. He had never had this kind of affection around him, not since he was a little boy and their parents were still alive. It was a long time ago now.

«Mother, did Mingi arrive?»

It seemed like everyone in the group that had just arrived, stopped breathing while waiting for the answer.

«Yes, Mingi arrived this morning with a boy named Felix.»

That's when Hyunjin no longer could keep his tears in.

Ivy followed Hyunjin through the castle towards Felix. When they finally saw the sweet boy, Ivy stopped and let the two of them have their moment. When they had their arms around each other she turned around and left them alone. Yeah, her decision was final.

Dinner was served, everyone was happy to be together, and Ivy waited till the end of the meal before asking her father for his time.

«May I speak with you, father? And mother?»

«Of course, dearest daughter. Right now?»

«Yes, please. Hyunjin, will you come too?»

Hyunjin nodded. Was it already time to ask for her hand? He felt so tired, so emotionally exhausted, but he would do whatever she asked now. She had gotten Felix out of Choi.

The king held his daughter's hand on the way to the throne room. She was shaking slightly, he felt it. She was nervous. It was adorable. He could tell she had such a wonderful tone with the prince, he hoped they would be happy.

«It couldn't wait till the morning?» he asked, with a loving smile on his lips as they all sat down by the table.

«No, I'm sorry father.»

«It's okay. Go ahead. Or should I say that to prince Hyunjin?»

He winked at the nervous prince next to her.

«No, I would like to speak, please,» she said, grabbing Hyunjin's hand. «Father, mother... I know the two of you had to fight for your love.»

«We did,» the queen said, looking at the king.

«It was worth it, though. Right?»

«Yes, of course, it was. Love is always worth fighting for.»

«Thank you for saying that, father,» Ivy said, closing her eyes for a moment. «You see, I feel the same way. But in Choi that wasn't the case. Hyunjin, who I've come to consider a dear friend now, knows this better than me. Hyunjin loves a boy named Felix. You've met Felix, he is the one Mingi brought here. I had planned to accept Hyunjin's proposal, and then let him and Felix be together. But I think they deserve so much more than that. They shouldn't have to hide their feelings. They should be able to live a long life together, married... And they can do that here in Astoria.»

«Ivy...» The king looked at her.

«I'm sorry for ruining your plans for my marriage, father. I'm really, really sorry to disappoint you. But this is the right thing to do.»

«Sweetest Ivy,» her mother said, grabbing her hands on the table. «I know that this is a big sacrifice for you because in Hyunjin you had found the perfect marriage.»

«That's true, mother. Marrying Hyunjin would mean a marriage without any expectations of... being physical. Perfect for me. But not for Hyunjin and Felix. Had we stayed in Choi, then yes. But here... Here in Astoria Hyunjin and Felix can marry each other.»

Ivy finally looked toward Hyunjin. He had tears on his cheeks.

«You brought us here so we can be together?»

«Yes, Hyunjin.»

«How is it possible to be so selfless?» he cried, grabbing her hand.

«It would mean you have to stay here, though.»

«I might never get to go back to Choi, but... I'd have Felix.»

She nodded, she was crying too now.

«But I was getting used to the idea of marrying you. I liked that idea.»

«Me too, sweet Hyunjin. But we will always be friends. The best of friends.» She turned towards the king again. «So, father, will you let Hyunjin and Felix stay here in Astoria when they're married?» She asked it directly, there needed to be no uncertainty about this.

The king looked first to Hyunjin and then to Ivy.

«Yes, of course.»

«Even if it'll make king Seonghwa upset?»

«Love is more important than that. Yes, you may stay here in Astoria, Hyunjin.»

«Thank you, your majesty,» Hyunjin sniffled. Ivy squeezed his hand tightly.