- 23 -

The preparations for the wedding went well, but it took a lot of effort. Ivy wanted the king's approval on some things, and as he was adamant it was all up to her, she had to be smart about it. At dinner, she would ask how he liked the food. Every night. The desserts as well. Finally, he understood.

«Am I eating something you're considering for the wedding menu right now, your highness?»

«You are!» She beamed like the sun, and he had to laugh. «You have been for the last week. And I now know that you do not care much for Brussels sprouts, and that veal is better than lamb.»

«Indeed,» he chuckled.

«And dessert was the first thing we did. I think the chocolate cake was your favorite, your majesty?»

«It was. But I want you to decide, princess.»

«I know you do, your majesty, but I've decided everything else. The food you can help me with. You already have, actually, so...»

The slightly triumphant smile on her face made his heart flutter. She did look happy like she was actually looking forward to the wedding.

«Well, I'm happy to help. We do have magnificent people in our kitchen staff, so...»

«Yes, we do! Stella, would you kindly ask the cook to come to us? We just want to compliment her.»

«Right away, your highness,» the maid said with a curtsy before disappearing out the door.

Ivy knew full well that she probably was scaring the cook, asking her to come to the dining room, but she had to learn that they meant well. Seonghwa watched Ivy as she gave the cook many, many compliments on the food served tonight, and the whole week before that.

«You see, miss Mandy, the king has now understood our plan, and I think I have settled on a menu for the wedding. I will come to discuss it with you tomorrow, but I just wanted to say thank you tonight. We see how hard you have worked, all of you. I am so proud that this is the food we will be serving at our wedding.»

Ivy smiled at the cook, who once again bowed as deep as she could come.

«Yes, thank you, miss Mandy. I do love your chocolate cake,» the king said.

«Thank you so very much, your majesty, your highness.» The cook sounded out of breath, and she was literally shaking as she left the room, but Ivy smiled at Seonghwa. He had done well. He didn't have the habit of complimenting the staff.

She was slowly but surely warming up the castle, starting with the staff. They were coming to love Ivy. No wonder. When she felt happy, she was a ray of sunshine. Every now and then he would hear her laugh at something, usually it would be outside when she was with Gordo. She loved that horse. He had seen her laugh when the kittens in the backyard all jumped her legs trying to crawl up at the same time. She laughed when a visitor had brought his new puppy along, and the big goof tipped her over on the grass. The visitor was scared for his life, having the future queen on the ground by means of his dog, but Ivy had laughed and laughed, playing with the puppy that licked her face and jumped all over her beautiful dress. Just thinking about it made Seonghwa smile.

In the weeks before the wedding, there was heavy snowfall. Turns out, Ivy loved the snow.

«What are you doing today?» the king asked her at breakfast, seeing her stare out the window longingly.

«I know the kids of the castle have this place where they go and play in the snow. You know, sliding on the snow? I want to try it too.»

«Playing in the snow?»