Chapter 11: Behind the Walls

A/n: Enjoy the chapter, Shining Stars! 

(Y/n)'s P.O.V.

Mirabel and I ran upstairs and follow the rats along the upper walkway. But as we turn the corner, they're gone. We looked around for any sign of them.

Then, we heard a noise and saw a glimpse of a single rat tail disappearing through an opening under a large painting. We looked at each other and approach the painting. Mirabel cautiously bends down and studies it. Then, she slowly pulled it open like a door, revealing a passageway within the walls.

"Since when did we have a passageway?" I questioned.

"Well, we're gonna find out." Mirabel said.

We climbed into the passageway between the walls of the house to find that although it was murky. We could see the inside covered in cracks, which undulate malevolently.

A rat squeaks as it scurries past our feet and away with a glowing shard into the darkness. We watched the green glow retreat into the empty space and then float up as if someone was lifting it. We squint to get a better look.

Crack!

A bolt of lightning lit the room and revealed...Bruno, who holds the shard with a sinister look. Mirabel and I gasped at the sight of him, frightened and shocked.

We and Bruno stare at each other for a second. Another flash, he was gone! His shadow streaked down a corridor.

We raced after him, knowing this is a chance to know the truth about the vision.

"Hey!" Mirabel shouted.

"Wait!" I yelled.

We turned every corner to catch up to Bruno. He swings up to the higher level as we swing down to the lower level. We looked up as we still chasing Bruno. As he came down still running, we slid down breaking through the high level and continues to chase Bruno every tight corners.

Third Person P.O.V

Meanwhile on the other side of the wall in Pepa's room, Camilo is trying to calm his mother down.

"It's okay, Mami, deep breath in, deep breath out..." Camilo said as he going to give Pepa her tea.

Mirabel ran into a wall hard as (Y/n) ran into Mirabel, causing Pepa to jump at the impact and zap Camilo with a lightning bolt, causing Camilo to shiftshape random people as he yelps in pain.

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

As we recovered, we catch up to Bruno.

"Stop! Stop!" Mirabel shouted as she and I are getting close to Bruno.

Suddenly, Bruno jumps a chasm and ran away, causing us to stop the tracks. The hole looks deep to fall. Maybe I'll try to shiftshape into a bird without glitching myself.

"I'll go first to see if I can make it to the other side without glitching myself." I volunteered.

"Are you sure?" Mirabel concerned.

"I must try. I promise I'll be ok." I promised.

I took a couple steps back with my determined eyes. Then I ran and jumped, turning into a bird flying successfully. When I almost made it to the other side, I started to glitch but made it to the other side as I change back to myself, groans as I landed on myself.

"Are you ok?!" Mirabel calling out, shocked and very worried.

"I'm fine." I reassured as I got up.

"Ok, good. I'm coming across next." Mirabel said.