Wide Awake

"Hey, what are you doing awake?"
"Jesus, Monty!" Violet lowered the bow she had made, as an arrow towards the ground, Monty walking in front of where she had been shooting.
"Sorry. The hell are you doing?" He whispered.

"What does it look like?" Violet focused on her work, closing one eye as she drew back the vine, holding back the homemade arrow with her fingers, letting it go as she hit a tree.

"Where'd you learn to do that?"

"My parents, they made a lot of the weapons for the guards."

"Cool."

"Here, I'll teach you." Violet motioned for him to come over to where she was, handing him the bow as she aligned it her hands figuring out the best angle for him.

"Hold this with your fingers, pull the rope back and let go of both when you have your target." Monty held back the rope, putting his aim on the tree, as he let his fingers go, and the arrow shot into the tree.

"Cool." He whispered.

Violet pulled the two arrows out of the tree bark, inspecting them for any damage or faulty pieces.

"How'd you make them?" Monty asked.

"Vines, sap, and some stones."

"How well will it work?"

"We'll have to figure that one out." Violet put the arrows into her pocket, holding the bow.

"You should show the others."

She shrugged, "they probably won't care." She laughed.

"You never know, I know Finn would care."

"Maybe."

"Did you get any sleep? You were awake when I passed out, and gone when the first of us woke up."

"Couldn't sleep." She shrugged.

"Hey! Come on, we gotta get moving, Clarke and the others found our next spot." Finn ran into the clearing, waving his hand at them, as both Violet and Monty looked up at him. Violet picked up the bow and few arrows she made, following after Finn, through the deeper woods, into a small clearing.

A small creek had been separating them from the other side of the forest.
"Woah." Violet breathed.

"Okay, so plan is we use this," Finn tugged on a rope made out of thick vines hanging from a tree above them, "to get across, because after that water snake thing, I'm not crossing through the water."
"Good idea." Monty nodded.
"Swing back, fast, swing forward, jump, and hopefully make it across." Violet studied the length from one side to the other.
"It doesn't look so bad."
"That's the hope."