17

later that night, isabel and grayson were both in isabel's dorm, sitting on her bed.

"it's been awhile since it's been just us." grayson said, "i've missed it.

"me too." isabel nodded.

their eyes met each others before grayson suddenly looked down, "i'm sorry."

"for what?"

"for letting you go."

isabel just shook her head, "we're here now and that's all that matters."

graysons eyes trailed down to her lips as his fingers pushed a strand of hair back behind her ear.

it's obvious they both want this, even if they did just agree they were both going to start out as friends, it couldn't hurt this once.

their eyes lock and isabel can't help but feel her heartbeat increase.

but the moment was ruined when isabel's phone began ringing. "i'm so sorry." she said picking it up as it read 'mr. thomas' and of course isabel couldn't answer it in front of grayson, so she just silenced it before placing it back down on her nightstand.

"who was it?" he asked.

"probably a telemarketer." isabel shrugged.

"shoot, you should have answered it, they're probably trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty!" grayson said sarcastically causing isabel to grin.

"dang it! how could i miss that call!" the two laughed, in that moment they both realized how happy they were to be here, together.

"you wanna watch a movie?" isabel asks.

"why don't we just talk?" says grayson, "we both agreed we should actually get to know each other better."

"okay." isabel nodded.

and with that the two laid next to another, just talking, about anything and everything. from childhood stories, to highschool relationships. anything they could think of until neither one of them could keep their eyes open any longer.

-

about a week had passed and isabel and grayson were still on good terms. they no longer avoided one another and even though they were stuck in this awkward friendship that they both wanted more in, the two "friends" subtly flirted.

cheerleading practices were now better and worse for isabel, because she knew if she smiled or waved at him, he'd do it back. but worse because she couldn't concentrate on anything but grayson dolan. i mean, who could blame her?

things were finally going back to normal, and isabel could not be happier about it.

one afternoon, isabel was in her dorm minding her own business until there was a knock on her door.

she got up to open it only to be greeted by ethan. "we need to talk, isabel."

"about?"

suddenly ethan began laughing.

"what is so funny?" isabel snapped.

"you know, ever since you came here, you and grayson have been like attached at the hip, and it's just funny." ethan laughed.

"ethan, are you high?"

"oh shut up! i'm serious! it's like whatever goes on between you and gray affects gray with everyone else, and from hannah's words it sounds like your the same way. you guys are like some co-dependent living organisms."

"we are not co-dependent!" isabel said before taking a deep breath, "ethan why are you here?"

"you're probably aware graysons first playoff game is coming up and our team kinda lives or dies on grayson, and if he's distracted, thinking about the possibility of life with you in it, they'll lose."