26

on graysons way out of the hospital, hayden stopped him, "hey man, how is she?"

"she seems to be waking up." grayson said.

"oh that's great! i'm so glad." hayden smiled, "wait, why aren't you in there with her?" he asked but grayson was silent. "you're leaving her? aren't you?"

"look," grayson sighed, "isabel is in this hospital because of me, and with me around, there's a chance this could happen again. i just don't want her to hurt anymore."

"and you think by leaving her will be the solution to all of this?" hayden asked.

"she won't feel that pain again."

hayden shook his head, "i'm not gonna tell you that what you're doing is right or wrong, but i am gonna tell you that by doing this, you're going to break isabel's heart."

he sighed, "if that's what it takes to make sure she's safe, then so be it." grayson replied, "please don't tell her i was here."

and with that, grayson walked right past hayden and out the doors of the hospital.

hayden couldn't believe it.

yet, he went up to isabel's room to find her mumbling things to herself.

"isabel?" he whispered.

isabel's eyes slowly fluttered open, "hayden?" she whispered, weakly.

"how are you feeling?"

"like death." isabel said weakly. "why are you here?"

"i flew back here as soon as i heard what happened." hayden answered.

that's when isabel's senses began coming back to her, she looked around the room in hopes to see grayson, but he wasn't there.

"grayson... is he okay?" isabel asked.

"yes, you saved him."

"where is he? i need to see him."

hayden took a breath, "i'm sorry, isabel. i haven't seen him."

isabel examined hayden's face, and by the look of it, she didn't believe him.

the flowers that sat beside her also gave it away. there was only one person in the world who knew her favorite flowers.

-

one week later

isabel jackson had spent the past week in the hospital recovering, but today was the day she could finally return home.

however, for isabel, life seemed a little grayer, a little less certain anymore.

before meeting grayson, she had never had to depend on anyone. and now, she was confused on why she felt like this.

it was hard without grayson around.

isabel had tried calling him a million times throughout the week, but each time it went to voicemail.

isabel knew he would be angry, but she didn't think he'd drop off the face of the planet.

as she continued to get ready to leave, there was a knock at her door, only to be opened a few seconds later.

"isabel?" mr dolan asked.

"mr dolan." isabel responded, "still no words from him?"

mr dolan shook his head before taking a seat and resting his head in his hands, "i was just trying to protect my son." he sighed, "i knew grayson would be angry when he found out but i never thought he would just up and leave our family behind."