Chapter 34 (Terrible All Around)

Sid grumbled as Tazuna finally led them to a small house. She should've booked it back to the motor boat they came on, but the bastard had long since left.

She was going to just walk on water instead, but that was a couple miles back to where they came from, and she didn't feel like walking any more than she had to.

Besides, she knew that even if she had their sensei on her back, her teammates wouldn't follow after her. They'd insist to stay and complete the revolting mission, much to her annoyance.

She tried reminding herself that her teammates haven't been outside the village before, remembering how excited Naruto was back at the village gates. She didn't want to make them return home so soon, but this mission was making her lose braincells.

She still couldn't believe each and every member of her team, excluding herself, fell for the old drunk's tricks. His sob story wasn't even that sad, and his guilt trip was irritating. Simply killing him would be the best solution for putting their lives at risk.

Before she knew it, she had started mumbling all of her thoughts. Sasuke looked at her weird while Naruto paid no mind to her at all.

"We're here!"

"Wipe that stupid ass grin off your face." Is what she would have said in response to Tazuna's words, but she didn't feel like it at the moment.

It was his fault that Kakashi passed out because of chakra exhaustion. His fault for their sensei getting caught and Naruto and Sasuke had to risk their lives to set him free. His fault if they all died.

Well, that last one probably won't come true, but still. Sid was pissed off at the old man. And since she couldn't wait to provide his grandson a better role model.

Sure, she was vulgar, but she was honest. The old man couldn't even do that. Sid didn't blame him for lying because he was poor as fuck and wanted to help his village, but she did blame him for risking their lives.

When he walked into the Hokage's office and seen them, he insulted them because he didn't like what he seen. He didn't request different people, even though he could have. It wouldn't cost any money, it was still a "C" rank mission.

He was risking lives decades younger than him simply because he didn't ask if he could get other people.

And then it clicked.

The Hokage must know about the Wave's condition, how it's poor and such. He should have known about Gato being a big threat, and how Tazuna wanted to rebuild a bridge. He should have known that rebuilding the bridge would affect Gatōs business and Gatō would want to put Tazuna down.

The Hokage should have known that Tazuna was lying.

Sid shook her head. Even Bakashi didn't know Tazuna was lying. I'm just overthinking again. Lord Wrinkles probably doesn't even know who Gatō is. She narrowed her eyes. But...I'll make sure to ask when I get back.

"Try not to overanalyze everything, but make sure you definitely rethink everything. If you want to be a ninja, that's a survival skill you'll need to pick up."

Sid bit the inside of her top lip. Don't overanaylze.

"I'll open the door." Tazuna said, walking forward and grabbing the handle. He opened it, going inside the house and taking off his shoes.

"I'm home, Tsunami, Inari!"

Rushed footsteps were heard before a women with dark blue hair and onyx eyes came into view. Her shocked expression morphed into happiness.

"Father! Welcome home!" She beamed before noticing the strangers behind him. Sid did her best to put on a friendly smile, though it just turned out like the one Sasuke called creepy.

"Oh, right. Tsunami, these people will be staying with us until I get the bridge done. Please get some blankets out for our guests."

Tsunami nodded, scurrying off to do so. Sid grunted.

"Hey, old man. Where do I put Bakashi here?" Tazuna glanced at her.

"We have a guest room that has a bed. We can lay him there."

"Yeah, great. Where is it?" Sid snapped. She'd like to stop carrying her sensei on her back as quick as possible. She still needed to put a cold rag on him to try and ease his body temperature.

In response to her question, Tazuna pointed at the stairs. Sid deadpanned.

"You've got to be shitting me."

She hates this mission.

_______________/___/_________________////////

While Sid went upstairs to lay Kakashi on the bed, Sasuke and Naruto took a seat at the table.

Naruto furrowed his brows, clenching his fists before glancing up at Sasuke, who was already watching him. Sasuke felt a bit embarrassed he got caught staring, but brushed it off. He didn't mean to stare, he was just wondering why the hell Naruto wasn't being loud.

"Hey, Sasuke...doesn't it bother you that Sid was gonna kill the old man?"

Ah.

Sasuke had forgotten Naruto hasn't witnessed murder or bloodshed. Naruto was innocent, his eyes never seeing a dead being.

Everything suddenly made sense now in Sasuke's mind. Why Naruto refused to talk or acknowledge Sid, why he was being quiet, it all added up.

Naruto was against killing.

It was ironic, considering he was a ninja, and it was a ninja's main job to kill. Sasuke remembered how Naruto missed out on many lessons, he probably missed out on the ones that involved killing, too.

Sasuke didn't want Sid to kill Tazuna, but if it came down to their life or his, he'd sacrifice Tazuna quicker than a heartbeat. Sasuke couldn't beat him if he was dead, after all.

Sasuke debated on how to answer the question. If he said yes, Naruto might go on a rant about how wrong Sid was. If he said no, Naruto might ask what the hell was wrong with him.

Sasuke opted for the most logical solution to the situation being presented to him.

"Hn. We should go unpack."

Sasuke went upstairs and Naruto followed after grudgingly, noticing how Sasuke didn't answer the question.