01

"Did we pack your asthma pump? Where's your pump?"

"It's right here, Mom you're going to miss your flight."I said as I watched her place my medals on my wall.

"Yeah but I gotta make sure my baby is okay and her room looks good. Where's your roommate?"she asked as she hung up the last medal.

"I'm not too sure."I said as I shrugged my shoulders as I looked at the undecorated side of the dorm.

"Mommy. You need to go."I said as I looked at the time a couple of times.

"Baby, it's okay. Let me take pictures of you."she said as she took out her phone and made me stand in my room awkwardly, I faked a smile a couple of times and nodded.

"You are going to be late."I said as I took her hand.

"Baby I don't mind. I want to spend this time with you before I go home to an empty house."she admitted which made me soften my gaze as I took her hand.

"Mom, I will call you everyday I promise. I will visit as much as I can I will not just leave you."I said as I hugged her tightly which made her hug me in return.

"I'm sorry your dad could--"

"Mommy you need to stop apologizing on his behalf."I said as I held her hands and kissed them.

"You're here and that's all that is important to me right now."I said as I kissed her cheek.

"It's always been us two from the beginning and I wouldn't have it any other way. You know, I want to be a single mom one day because of you."I said which made her sigh before shaking her head.

"No, I want you to find love. I want you to find the love you hear in all the love songs you listen to. I want you to experience that baby, that's all I ever wish for, for you."she sternly said as she gave me a small smile which made me sigh.

"Mama, you know everyday I tell myself that then I realize that I always ruin relationships for myself."I said as I looked down.

"Just because Lando broke your heart doesn't mean every single man you come across will do the same. What one man can't do for you, another will."she said as she placed a hand on my cheek.

"Mommy I got something to tell you." I said as I kissed my teeth, she nodded as she sat me down on my bed.

"I've been talking to someone and I am so scared."I said as I looked down at my fingers.

"What? Really baby?"she asked in excitement as she took my hands.

"Yeah. I got his number when we were here and we've been talking since."I said which made her smile and hug me tightly.

"What's his name?"

"Damon Sims and he's nothing like Lando at all."I said as I gave her a small smile.

"I am so happy for you baby. Come here."she said as she hugged me tightly.

"I need to meet him."she said as she pulled away from me and gave me a small smile.

"No, maybe when it's serious mommy. Not now. What if I curse myself or something."I said.

"No you are not don't put that out for God to hear."she said as she sternly looked at me.

"You're right."I said with a small smile.

When my mom and I continued to talk about other stuff as we set up my room I heard the dorm room open, we both looked and saw Simone.

"Simone!"I excitedly said as I rushed towards her and hugged her tightly.

"Hey, Imani."she greeted quite shocked as she hugged me back.