12. ᴀʟᴀɴ'ꜱ ᴛʀᴏᴜʙʟᴇꜱ

(Third Person POV)

Even after at least an hour of just sitting around and doing nothing, Alan was still nervous. The feeling seemed never ending. He worried that even if he were to step away for a mere second, his whole computer would die. Not to mention his 5 friends along with it.

The thought came to him and stuck to him as soon as he had heard about the battle that went on while he was in bed and completely unaware. What if it happened again? What if they needed him and he wasn't there? What if someone turned up dead because he couldn't get up in time? He silently ranted to Second about it, and as reassuring as Second tried to be, it just wouldn't work. He hated not being able to sit back due to some stupid thoughts, because he just cared so much about them. Digital or not, they were still friends. They felt emotion, they felt pain, they loved him like real friends, and Alan couldn't deny that he reciprocated those same feelings. But now they were getting into danger again, most likely more severe than last time.

How often today had he told himself to think about something else? The thought lasted until midnight, oh how terrible it was. He could never look at anything without thinking about it.

Tonight, Alan didn't feel tired at all. He slept extensively just that morning alone. How could he sleep, anyway? Turning the lights off in his computer room, he closed the door behind him and sat at his chair like he did that afternoon. It was already nearing midnight as Alan bent down and laid on his desk. If he wanted to fall asleep anywhere right now, it would be here, so if something happened he would be right there. Yes, it hurt his back, but in his thoughts, it would be worth it. His posture was already not the best, so it didn't bother him that much.

Then, he heard a small tap on the glass. Second. Alan smiled and waved to him. Leaping back up to the window of MSPaint they had left open, Second stretched and sat down. Curiously, Alan glanced at the two other sticks that were guarding his computer on the right before focusing his gaze back on Second. Second pulled out a piece of headgear and placed it on his head. He wanted Alan to talk, not type. Recently, they had found a way to talk to each other without Alan having to use just words. Alan picked up his headphones with a mic attached to it and connected it to Second's. This way, they could hear each other from the other sides of the screen, and privately conversate. Second spoke first.

"What are you doing up this late?"

Alan sighed.

"I just can't sleep. My head is keeping me up, and I'm really not that tired."

"Are you still worried about us?"

"How could I not be?" His voice was starting to drift as he got more tired, yet he still stayed awake. "I don't want any of you to get hurt."

"Alan. We're in good hands. As strange as this is, the resistance is protecting us well! They say they're upgrading their armor, and ours too! Well, everyone else's. Not me. I'm getting a new shield, cause apparently they just don't want me fighting."

"I wouldn't either."

"Allaaann! I can fight on my ownnnn!" He spoke in his jokingly annoyed tone, hoping to lighten the mood, yet Alan's expression remained the same. Normally he'd at least crack a smile, or chuckle a bit, but there was only silence.

"Oh. You're uh.. you're serious."

Alan nodded. Second just sighed.

"Alan.. nothing is gonna happen! Everything will turn out okay! Just you watch, man. Everything will be back to normal in no time!"

"But what if it doesn't?" Alan raised his voice. "What if one of you gets killed and I'm never able to get them back?! I can't just draw you guys again! This is serious danger, Second!"

Second jumped at his tone. Alan got worked up, and it wasn't until after he finished talking that he realized it. He took a deep breath and laid his head on his desk again.

"I'm sorry Second I just.. I'm just stressed."

"Yeah. I can tell. Look, however things do go, I'm confident we'll find a way around it, together. That's what we do all the time, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"I swear, we'll do it! You don't need to worry so much, Al! We got this, and I know you got this as well. You've always been here for me, and that's one of the things that is awesome about you! You're always someone I know I can talk to. Please, just try to relax and sleep. Nothing is gonna happen. We'll chase the other us's back to their world, close the rift, and we'll be ok! Just wait, ok?"

Alan smiled slightly.

"Ok.."

"There you go! Just have some hope! I know I do, and yeah I have my questions about this whole thing, but I'm confident they'll be answered soon enough. Now.. go to bed dummy! It's already 12:43!"

"Alright. Thanks Second."

"Nothin'!"

Taking off his headphones, Alan stood up and navigated his way through his dark home and to his own room, a bit more calm now. He could at least sleep now, but he couldn't shake the feeling of dread for tomorrow.

Why did he feel like something bad would happen the next day?