15. ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ'ꜱ ᴅᴇᴄɪꜱɪᴏɴ

(Third Person POV)

Second couldn't believe what he heard. Slinking silently back into his room, Second took a small breath before stopping to process what he just found out.

'They.. they can't be serious right? No! I can't let Alan get arrested like that! But why wouldn't they tell me? Do they really not trust me? In fact, now I know for a fact Chosen was lying! If he could just threaten Alan with something like that anyway, they wouldn't need me! So why is it me or him? I'd happily go for Alan's sake! I'm not going to be of any use to _nala anyway! Screw this! They think I'm weak!'

He punched his wall out of anger and fell back on his bed, mad, yet sorrowful. Why couldn't they trust him? It was the only thing he could think about. They even told Alan not to tell him, and they told each other almost everything. He wanted to prove them wrong. He knew everything about himself and was sure of it.

It would take a lot of courage, but Second was certain he knew the dangers, and was willing to go. He didn't care. Alan doesn't deserve this. No one does.

He made his choice right then and there.

Sighing and taking a breath, Second checked the time. A little after noon. How would he leave without them noticing? Well, they ought to be in that room trying to figure out something all day, however if he left now Alan would catch him. He was still watching and waiting, as if moving from that spot would kill him. He'd have to wait until midnight. The only way this would be ruined is if they decided on a plan before he had the time to leave. He just hoped that they wouldn't, because to him, they were just incompetent.

...

Midnight finally came. Rubbing his eyes, Second sat up from bed and stretched. He was nervous, yes, but he needed to. For Alan's sake.

Carefully slipping out of bed, he creeped over to the bedroom door and peeked out onto the empty desktop. Alan was gone and had went to bed, and the resistance was still discussing, quieter at this time of night, but still audible.

With a deep breath, he started to silently walk across the desktop to the internet icon that would lead him out. His heart beat faster with every step, yet courage and determination kept him walking. Walking towards danger.

"Sec?"

A voice whispered. He jumped, thinking he had gotten caught, yet thankfully it was just a tired Green.

"Green? What are you doing up?"

"We still can't sleep. I should be asking you that, and what you're doing out here."

"I'm just.. Walking. Pacing. Yeah."

God, was he the worst with lies.

"Riiigghhhttt... what are you really doing?"

Second sighed and crossed his arms.

"I'm going out. I just.. need some time."

Thankfully, that lie passed right by Green.

"Isn't it dangerous out there? If you're going, lemme go with you."

"Sorry, man, I want to go alone. Don't tell anyone I left tonight. If you do, everyone is gonna get mad at me and I really don't want to deal with that. I'll be ok."

Green just nodded. "Alright.. I won't, but please be back by morning."

"I will! Don't you worry."

Second smiled his normally reassuring smile, but this time it certainly didn't feel reassuring.

"Ok. I'm.. going back to our room. Be careful."

Reluctantly, Green turned around and started to walk off, turning back every now and again to look at Second, hoping maybe he would change his mind, and yet Second would still open the gateway and jump through.

...

As always, Second fell right into the water and started to swim ashore. One step after another, he climbed the steep hill and made it to land. Out here, the night was beautiful. The sky was a deep purple and the stars shone brightly and boldly. The world map atop the sky was also illuminated, seeming to be made out of stars itself. Well.. now where should he go? He didn't exactly know all the details of where he'd be handed over.

Looking around, he'd walk off to the side and into the forest of trees that surrounded the city. Compared to others, this forest was considerably small, but to the average stick, the trees still seemed endless.

It got to the point where the moon started to disappear behind the tops of the trees when he heard footsteps. Lots of them from every side. It was only a moment before he was tackled to the ground by the familiar heavy metal. Spiders, four of them. He gasped, yet didn't resist as they pinned him to the ground and kept him there, threatening him with their sharp fangs. Almost right after, Second heard a strange yet familiar voice.

"Well, well, well, now who do we have here?"

He saw a stick put a knee on the ground, place a hand under his chin, and lift his head. The Other Chosen.

"Hmm.. no scar, no obvious impersonation.. It's you. I'll be honest with you kid, I didn't expect to see you tonight. Low and behold, here you are. Get off him."

Other Chosen stood up and ordered the viruses off. Obviously, they obliged. Grabbing Second by the arm and forcing him to get up, Other Chosen grabbed the cuffs that were attached to his belt and put them on Second.

"We're going back to base, and we'll happily escort you there. Those cuffs do have the ability to paralyze you, so don't try anything funny or I'll have to carry you back. Personally, I'd rather you spare my arms and walk. Now, let's go."