19. ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛᴏʀᴍ

(Other Chosen's POV)

Stupid, that's what I am. Did I really just say all that..? I feel the weight of guilt press down on my chest as soon as I walk onto the desktop. Alan was there, not typing on his keyboard, but standing in his VR headset. I look over to his virtual model. He rigged his model to actually interact with the world inside the computer. His model was a purple stick figure with a round head like mine. This model donned a long black coat that faded into red at its tips, along with heels of the same color scheme. Since his legs could not interact, but would rather phase through objects (for more convenience), he would just float around the place.

He was bent down and working on the machine we planned to use this afternoon. Originally, we expected to use it more near dusk, but since we got our power source early, we changed it to the afternoon.

Silently, I walked to him and smiled, guilt still weighing on me.

"Hey.. how's the power generator going?"

"Absolutely great! It's almost ready. This thing is made to hold 200 gigawatts of energy! He might take more than just 200, so I've added 100 extra in an extra compartment just to be sure.."

"That's great, I'm glad.."

He looked up at me. Damn it, my tone gave it away.

"Is something on your mind, Chosen?"

"..."

I couldn't find any words to respond.

"..did you talk about something?"

"Yeah.."

"Come here, sit."

Taking a shaky breath, I sat down next to him.

"I suppose it's our guest that you told, right?"

"Yeah. He just kept bugging me about it.. I got annoyed and spilled."

"I understand that feeling, people come up to me and ask about me all the time. At times, they'll bug me until I tell them, and it hurts to tell, but in the end it won't matter. You most likely won't be meeting them again. In these circumstances, it won't matter either. We're going to win for once after so many years."

"I'm just still.. so.. so sensitive over it.. I don't get it."

Damn it, I was starting to cry again. That's when Alan put his arm around me and pulled me into a hug.

"Chosen.. soon enough we'll be able to forget about all that stuff. We'll be on top of the world, I promise you. Yes, things happened and mistakes were made, but after today, we'll be ready. You always told me that this day would come, and now it's here. A few hours Chosen, can you believe it? A few hours from victory. We can last a few more hours, can't we?"

I hugged him back and smiled.

"Yeah.. we can."

"That's what I want to hear."

Yes, he was right, we're so close to finally winning. A few more hours and everything would be different.

All those failed tries and all that pain would finally be over.