ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

(_nala's POV)

I escaped by the skin of my teeth. I made sure to pack everything and erase any evidence I was there, having Chosen wipe the system was a good idea.

Sitting from a tree, I looked as the police searched my home, and smiled when they said they couldn't find anything. But now where do I go? I'll have to run away again.

Silently getting down from the tree, I pulled out my phone (which Chosen was safely secured in) and looked down at him. He was half asleep.

"Hey, Chosen?"

"Hm..?"

"Before you fall asleep, can you find someplace for me to stay.. and possibly transportation?"

"Yeah, I've heard of a guy on the dark web that chauffeurs people around and rents them places to stay and stuff. He never gets caught because he can always just say he didn't know who they were. Might wanna be careful with that. Besides all that, he's pricey and comes with conditions."

"We won't worry about the pricey part. I'll get us the luxury for free."

Ducking down behind a different tree, I started to search for this guy through the web, and eventually managed to find his own personal planner. Nonchalantly, I added a fake name, my location, and the type of place I wanted to stay. A hotel would do just fine.

Easily, I saved the planner back and sat down, feeling the cold fall breeze on me. My jacket was light and didn't warm me up much, so I'd have to wait in incredible cold until he gets here.

...

Finally, the car pulled up after a few hours. I wish he would have arrived sooner, it's freezing out here. I stood up and put my mask on while walking towards the car. I felt my pockets, and thankfully the pocket knife that I had taken was still there.

I closed the door behind me and sat down inside. The driver was also wearing a mask. Smart, but it won't prevent him from harm.

"You're Trent, right?"

"Correct."

"Ok. I'll go ahead and take the payment now.."

"Payment? You won't be getting one."

"I know I drive around criminals and things, but I'm still getting paid for this."

Didn't expect to have to do this early, but looks like I have to. Quickly pulling the knife out of my pocket, I switched it up and pressed it to the driver's neck.

"I don't think you are."

"Don't count on a knife working. I've survived multiple of these."

"Hm, then let's say this. I can take down your stupid little business within a fraction of a second. To reveal myself.. I've been in the news more than once. Does the name "_nala" ring any bells..?"

"The.. the hacker?"

"You got that right, so start driving."

He started the engine. Perfect. Slowly, I laid back in the seat and enjoyed the ride.

...

Finally, the hotel room. Took long enough. I sat down my backpack and suitcase and sat down myself. God, it's late.

"Nice room, don't you think?"

Of course. The driver followed me here and had just entered the room. I looked at him and stood back up.

"What are you doing here?"

"Didn't you read my conditions? I stay with my clients until they're done, cause I don't have another place to go."

"That's too bad, get out."

"Nah, I'm staying here."

God, I'm really gonna have to do this, aren't I? I pulled out my knife again.

"If you stay, I'll kill you."

"Hmmm.. ok then. But first, take off that mask."

"..why?"

"Well, if I'm gonna die, I at least wanna see what the world's greatest cyber-criminal looks like first."

Hm. Well I guess he has a point.

"Fine."

Hesitantly, I take off my hood and mask, revealing my face. I stare at him dead in the eyes as he stands up straight.

"Ok, I'll have to kill you no-"

"Wait! Wait wait wait... Alan, is that you?"

"I.. what?"

Huh?

"Alan! Alan Becker! It's you! I found you!"

"How do you.. know my name?"

"I'm.. oh right."

Slowly, he pulled his mask and hood off as well. The sight of his face makes me freeze and drop my knife. I thought.. I though he was gone.

"Alan! It's me! Don't you remember me from back when we were in high school?"

And he was right, the friend I lost stood right in front of me.

DJ Welch.