Chapter 22

Vex's POV:

After my talk with Will, I knew what I needed to do. I didn't want to admit that something needed to be done to stop Olthen. I guess I was just avoiding the topic. Pushing it down because I didn't want to acknowledge that he needed to be stopped. But that's not how life works. We have to take on the hard stuff head on because if we don't, then disasters happen. I walk into Olthen and I's shared room. He's there, sitting on the bed, relaxed. His feet are crossed and he has a pillow behind his head. He's reading a book. I take a deep breath and walk into the room fully, straight faced.

"Hello, beautiful." Olthen looks at me, a loving gaze. He's obviously happy to see me. I give him a quick nod and ignore him. I walk over to my dresser and search for a change of clothes. I can feel the tension in the air. "Vex? You okay? How was your day?" He says cautiously. He doesn't want to provoke me since he obviously is unsure as to why I'm acting like this. I simply shrug in response. I walk into the bathroom and close the door behind me. It slammed shut accidentally. I cringe at the sound and look at myself in the mirror. Gods, what am I doing. I hear footsteps and then a soft knock on the door. "Vex... what's going on? You can talk to me, you know this." Olthen pleads. I take another deep breath and then get into character, rolling my eyes and opening the door dramatically.

" You know what's going on, Olthen." I say and storm into the room, swiftly turning around and crossing my arms. I feel the facade of anger race through me.

"Vex, I-" I cut him off.

"No. No, I'm not doing this. I've been walking on eggshells around you ever since you told me your plans. I'm done! I'm not putting up with this... this foolish shit, Olthen!" I bite the insides of my cheeks so hard, holding back tears that I know would give me away the second they were to fall.

"Vex, I have to do it. I thought we were through with this conversation? What's gotten into you?" He steps towards me. I take a step back. Olthen sighs in frustration, running his hand through his hair. "Vex, seriously ? Come on, can we not have a nice evening for once?" I shook my head.

"Don't you dare make this my fault! I've been nothing but gracious and I've helped out more than anyone around here! And for what?! To bring back someone from the dead who should stay dead?! You're insane. You're absolutely mental." Olthen is dumbstruck, unable to form any words. I utilize that silence to go to my drawer again and start shoving my belongings into a bag.

"Hey, hey, Vex wait a minute. Stop it. S-Stop doing that." He comes over to me and grabs my hand. I pull away and continue. "Seriously, Vex, stop it." He grabs me again and, this time, I'm mad.

"No! No no no! I'm done. I'm not... I'm not staying here and supporting this... I've had more than enough time to think about it, and I refuse to help you. I refuse to stay and witness this. I'm leaving and... that's that." I finish and swing the bag over my shoulder. "Don't follow me. You're letting me do this." I say forcefully. "We're done."

"Vex..." Olthen lets out my name in a whisper. My heart shatters.

"Goodbye." And I leave the room. Tears finally fall from my eyes and down my cheeks. I feel them burn as I wipe them away aggressively. I don't cry. I never cry. Olthen had turned a new leaf. He had changed for me. And I guess I could have been okay with Olthen's plans, but Will was right. There was more than just Olthen to save now, and on top of that, there was no telling what could have come from those plans of his being completed. I didn't know enough and there was no way I'd be able to get that information even if I tried. Olthen didn't follow me. Will was right, he did listen to me...

"Vex." I was shaken out of my thoughts as I turned to see Will.

"Hey." I said quickly. Will gave me a concerned look.

"You did it, didn't you." Will said more as a statement than as a question. I simply nodded.

"I'm okay. What information were you able to get? I need to get going." Will nodded back.

"Right. Basically, this camp can be found by demigods. They feel a sort of pull in different directions and I guess they usually end up there on their own." I looked at him, frustration on my face.

"Well, then how am I supposed to find it? I'm not a demigod, Will!" He shook his head.

"I know... I know. I was hoping maybe you could bring Maddox or Sienna along? I know we didn't plan for more than one of us to be gone... but this is still our only shot, Vex."

"I'll bring Mads. Olthen would notice if Sienna wasn't there. He rarely ever needs Mads, especially now that he's been training Rose." I explained. I felt a small ounce of relief come back into my body. I know it'd still be a risk to bring Maddox, but I felt happy I wouldn't be alone. Especially doing something this dangerous...

"Okay... I'll do my best to cover for him if anything comes up." We nod at each other and I begin walking towards Maddox's room. Will calls after me. "And, Vex?" He asks. I look at him, waiting for him to speak. "Good luck." I give me a sad smile and begin walking again.

I can do this.

I enter Maddox's room, and see him lying there. He's shirtless, napping. He has a small patch on the spot where my arrow pierced his body. I internally cringe, guilt rising up my spine sending a shiver through my body. I shake it off and call out Maddox's name, waking him up. He groggily pulls himself up to a sitting position. "Vex? What're you doing here?" He says and stands up. I see his face turn red when he realizes he's shirtless. He grabs a shirt and puts it on quickly, seemingly hoping I didn't notice. I chose to ignore it.

"I need your help with something. Pack a bag and meet me outside." I say and turn to open the door and leave.

"Wait wait, what? Pack a bag? What's going on, Vex?" He said shaking his head and walking closer to me. I turn around.

"Mads, I need you to trust me. Please." I say, grabbing his hand, squeezing it lightly. He looks into my eyes, his face becoming red again. He nods and I smile, grateful. I leave the room and wait outside by a tree for him. Minutes later, he comes out, a duffle bag on his shoulder. I see his dagger in his cargo pant pocket. I smile and nod at him as he does the same. We begin walking into the forest in the direction Rose came from. Olthen had had Maddox scouting Rose's whereabouts. He had never told me about that before. He explained to me that Olthen didn't make it seem like a big deal, and that, now thinking back on it, he assumes Olthen might have used a spell because he "definitely would have" told me. I smiled at that, a mix of happiness and sadness at the thought. We continued our walk as I explained Will and I's plan along the way. Thankfully, Maddox was fully on my side. He said he'd do anything he could to help me.

"I know I can trust you, Vex. And if you say this is what' right... I'll follow you til the ends of the earth." He cleared his throat. "Or I guess... like I'll let you follow me?" I laughed, smiling widely.

"Thanks, Mads. You always know what to say." I giggle. He's the one smiling widely now.

"I-I try." He blushes. A comfortable silence hangs. I savor it. I've always enjoyed Maddox's company. I'm so glad he's here... I mean, I could definitely have come alone if the camp didn't need to be found by a demigod. But if I got the choice, I would have liked to have someone. Will will inform Sienna of Maddox's whereabouts. Sienna was fully on board too. I had spoken to her prior to leaving, and she just wants the best for Will and I. And Olthen, of course. She cares about Olthen seeing as he is her brother. She mentioned how she could see them actually having a relationship if he weren't so... corrupt. That's what really made her want to help us. She wasn't always the most serious person, but she was my person. We'd do anything for each other.

The one thing we have that Olthen doesn't...

...is allies.