Chapter 28

Vex's POV:

We've been on our way back for hours now, and we've definitely made it a lot farther than I'd planned. It seems this group of Rose's has some serious experience, and their determination makes it a whole lot easier to make some headway. Nobody seems to want to stop, but I know if we want to have a fighting chance once we get back to base, we'll need our strength. I was thinking about how to approach the group on taking a ten minute break when a small portal opened suddenly, a millisecond of blue light flashing in front of me, a piece of paper popping out in front of me. My reflexes were quick as I snatched it out of thin air. Everyone around me had stopped, waiting for something to happen. I turned around to face everyone, glancing up quickly only to look down at the paper, unraveling it. "What the hell was that?" Myra spoke. I rose an eyebrow, reading the paper quickly.

"It's from Will." I spoke monotonously. I felt a shock wave a nerves ripple up my spine. The note read, 'Olthens speeding things up, it's bad. Come quickly, we need you here yesterday.' Signed off with a W. I crumpled the paper back up, stuffing it in my pocket. I didn't want anyone to panic. I know what "speeding" things up meant. I knew Olthen would be working Rose harder than ever, which could have... torturous meanings...

"We need to go faster. We don't have as much time as I initially thought." I said turning back around and walking forward. I heard footsteps and protests behind me.

"Hey hey! Whoa, can I see the note?" I ignored Myra and Bens pleas.

"We don't have time. Besides, I already told you what it said. Let's go, we can't waste any more time, guys." I replied.

"No you didn't! If it said anything about rose, you need to tell us. O-or about Walker or Shadow. You need to tell us, Vex. Trust goes both ways." I rolled my eyes, turning quick on my heel after Ben's remark. I glared at him. I composed myself, but I could practically feel the fire in my own eyes.

"Rose is fine. Shadow and Walker are fine. Will just needs us to get here quicker than we planned. He wasn't specific, but said things have changed on their end. Now... if you want to save Rose, don't argue and follow me. Okay?" I spoke calmly. Everyone was silent. They all just looked at me. I could feel the tension. The sadness. The worry. I didn't have time for this. None of us did. Ben simply nodded. He looked at Myra, she shrugged obviously not sure how to respond. I really needed to get this... this charmspeak in check. I didn't know how to control it and, honestly, right now I was kinda regretting not speaking to that Chiron guy they mentioned. I couldn't think of that now, though. We have people waiting for us.

"You okay, Vex?" Maddox had been flying above us, scouting the path in front of us. He landed, turning back into his human form beside me. He could tell there was a lot on my mind. I sighed out loud, hearing the quiet conversations of the group behind us.

"Yeah... I just got a note from Will and Si. We've gotta make it there asap. Olthens sped things up since my leaving him. That could mean any number of things for Rose. I just... I don't have the heart to worry them, you know? I can't have anyone being reckless once we get there, it could cause more harm than good. And we've really only got one shot once we arrive to stop Olthen and save Rose, Walker, Shadow and will." Maddox put a comforting hand on my shoulder, giving me a squeeze.

"Everything will be okay, Vex. You're doing the right thing, you know? You've got a good heart, and... and I trust you with my life so... they'll be sure to trust you with theirs soon too. I know it." I smiled down at him, chuckling softly. I ruffled his hair, nudging him with my elbow.

"You're too sweet sometimes, Mads. You know that?" He smiled brightly down at me.

"I try." He smirked, blushing. I rolled my eyes playfully. "We're clear for the next few miles by the way. After a few minutes I'll go back up to check again." I nodded.

"Good, we're gonna need an all clear for a while if we're gonna make it back in good time." Maddox nodded. We spent the rest of the way chatting and laughing before Maddox had to scout again. I was getting nervous the more we walked. I'd get small feelings up panic and an adrenaline spike whenever Maddox had to leave. I had to hide it from the others, too, which only made matters worse. I think I may have scared them though, which kept them away from me as I lead the group. Gods... this was going to be a stressful trek...